2 sided Seth Thomas 86

Calculagraph

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2020
New Jersey
Country
I recently acquired the two sided clock in the attached pictures. I think this is a solid bronze casting. Beautiful clock.
The original movement is in the clock but it was converted to 120 volt electric. The movement is not marked but it is pretty obviously a Seth Thomas 86. I have an 86 spring driven, one sided movement and I can use the components to revert the two sided movement to its original spring wound condition. My question is, when there is a hand shaft on both the front and back of the movement, where does the pendulum go? I had a two sided, thirty day ST 86 with a pendulum once but i can't remember how it was configured.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

20211209_153739.jpg 20211209_153806.jpg 20211209_153817.jpg 20211209_153823.jpg

Calculagraph

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2020
New Jersey
Country
Does this thread help? I think I can see where the pendulum attaches in a couple of the pictures.

Seth Thomas - Unusual Seth Thomas Type 86 movement | NAWCC Forums
Thanks. Really interesting. Unfortunately, mine has gearing for hands on the front and back of the movement. With hands on the front and back, I am not sure where to hang a pendulum. I can imagine the crutch having a loop bent around the arbor for the hands but maybe an oval in the pendulum like a howard banjo would work. Can't believe I have never seen one like this.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
How sure are you that it was converted? If it was, a large part of the front plate is missing, so restoring an escape wheel and verge would be very difficult.

Calculagraph

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2020
New Jersey
Country
Thanks, the movement is definitely converted. The clock face has winding holes in the proper location for this movement. The movement is drilled for winding arbors and still has remnants of the Geneva Stops. A good section of the back plate has been cut out to accommodate the electric motor, but i plan to use another ST 86 to get a complete plate. (I plan to convert the sacrificial movement to electric so that nothing is lost). I am planning to create a crutch that will take the pendulum out the back of the clock. I will also craft a new pendulum and a suspension point for that pendulum. The crutch will need to be bent around the hand shaft and the pendulum will need something like a Howard banjo to swing without impacting the hand shaft. I think it sounds worse than it actually is. I had hoped maybe someone with a two sided pendulum movement could provide pictures of the "factory" configuration.
Thanks again for your help.

Reactions: Keith Doster

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That's quite a project! I hope you find what you need. Keep us updated on your progress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rajo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-