2 Pocket watches

Jean

Nov 8, 2009
Hi all,

I got this rare looking pocket watch from my 89 year old grandmother. According to my grandmother it's very old. Her father always had it with him and he got it from his father. And now I got it from my grandmother.

I am wondering if somebody knows something about this pocket watch. (14k gold & diamonds.)

Maybe I need to open it to help you but I am not sure how to do that. I don't want to damage it. I don't know if there is a safe way to open the caseback. This is my first pocket watch. Brand unknown.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2793/42408251.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7336/p1020962m.jpg

39.jpg

Also received this pocket watch, the brand is called Lepina. It used to be the pocket watch of my grandfather:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7726/p1020968q.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

Jean

Nov 8, 2009
I am sorry, I believe I posted this under "clocks". Could somebody please but it on the right spot :D

Picture update on watch number 1. I'll go to the watch maker tomorrow. The watch has been wound today by my grandmother before she gave it to me. I will not wind it again and will have it serviced together with the other watch.

43.jpg

The brand looks like something like: Cylindre... "?" Rubis

44.jpg

45.jpg

Last edited:

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The watch is a nice example of a Swiss cylinder escapement watch from around 1910 to 1925. The marks on the cuvetee describe the movement. They do not name the makers. It just says it is a 4 jewel cylinder movement.

The gilded finish and the gold engraved dial probably mean it was intended for the English market, but it might have been sold in South America also.

This thread actually belongs in the European pocket watch forum where they experts on these watches mostly read and post.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Huh!
I sure woulda expected more replies on your two watches JEAN, and probly you too.
Reckon you stumped th' Pockit Watch braintrust?

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board, Jean,

The movement of your grandfather's pocket watch, the "Lepina," was manufactured by a company called Unitas,, located in the Swiss town of Tramelan. It was probably made in the 1930's, based on the style of case and dial, though it is hard to be precise. Unitas supplied the movements to many other firms that sometimes added finishing touches to the movement, then put on the dials and hands (and their own brand name), put them in cases and sold them. The fact that your watch movement has a gilt finish to the plates and appears to have 15-jewels might indicate that it was made for the European market, and from the name Lepina I might guess Eastern or South-Eastern Europe. The box it is in might be original, but the wording in the box is not clear enough to read, except the sellers name, which looks like J. Stolk. It would be interesting (at least to me) if you could tell us the rest of what is printed in the box lid. Also, the markings inside the cover of the watch case of the Lepina aren't legible. If you can tell us the markings, maybe someone on this board can give you more information on the watch case.

I hope this information on your grandfather's watch is of some help.

Larry Treiman

Last edited:

Jean

Nov 8, 2009
Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board, Jean,

The movement of your grandfather's pocket watch, the "Lepina," was manufactured by a company called Unitas,, located in the Swiss town of Tramelan. It was probably made in the 1930's, based on the style of case and dial, though it is hard to be precise. Unitas supplied the movements to many other firms that sometimes added finishing touches to the movement, then put on the dials and hands (and their own brand name), put them in cases and sold them. The fact that your watch movement has a gilt finish to the plates and appears to have 15-jewels might indicate that it was made for the European market, and from the name Lepina I might guess Eastern or South-Eastern Europe. The box it is in might be original, but the wording in the box is not clear enough to read, except the sellers name, which looks like J. Stolk. It would be interesting (at least to me) if you could tell us the rest of what is printed in the box lid. Also, the markings inside the cover of the watch case of the Lepina aren't legible. If you can tell us the markings, maybe someone on this board can give you more information on the watch case.

I hope this information on your grandfather's watch is of some help.

Larry Treiman
Thank you/

I think it's the place where the pocket watch has been bought.
It's from the Netherlands.

J. Stolk
Goudenwerken (Goldworks)
STRIJEN (municipality)
BARENDRECHT (city)
Gevestigd in 1823 (since 1823)

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
Thanks, Jean, for satisfying my curiosity. My guess, based on the name "Lepina," that the watch might have been intended for the Eastern or Southeastern European market apparently was wrong.

I might add that Unitas movements have an excellent reputation and are considered very reliable.

Larry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjammyers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry