2 new pocket watches

TennisGuy

Mar 21, 2021
Country
Picked up these 2 watches for cheap. The one with the key runs. The other one is missing the stem at the top. It has what appears to be French writing on the front.

any thoughts? 9B7EC381-D6D6-464C-A922-96AFF918B2E5.jpeg DF051B2A-9D14-405A-974D-0E80D07BDFB1.jpeg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
We need to see the inside. Open them
and photograph the movement.

Rob

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
As musicguy said, not much of great value can be said without seeing the movements. And even then Swiss watches can be tough unless marked. That said, and as maybe part of a little WAG contest, I'd say the top is an unidentifiable swiss bar movement and the bottom is from Jacot, or maybe Borel & Courvoisier. The bottom one has a type of two-tone fancy hands I see on those watches. I'd even say A. Saltzman, but something points me away from that. Those are my best lacking image WAGs. Cheers.

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
The first Edouard Quartier in La Chaud de Fonds Switzerland registered on 31/10/1898.
Manufacturer of clock movements, cases, dials.
This watch is thus of the beginning of the XXth century.

Amicalement GG

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
The first is in an 80% silver case and is solidly made, lower mid grade watch.

The second is a cylinder movement with 8 jewels in a nice case with very fine two color hands.

The gouges inside the outer back cover are from a scrapper carving out bits to test for gold. Since the case is intact except for that they probably found that it did not have enough gold to be worth taking for melt.

The chip out of the dial may from teh attempt to scrap. It can me made to look a lot less ugly but will be expensove to fix completely.

It was a nice looking modestly priced watch in its day.

TennisGuy

Mar 21, 2021
Country
Thanks for the information. Is it expensive to get a stem replaced? The first one needs it. The second one winds up and runs.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Stem and crown replacement would be $100 to $400 from a watchmaker making a living at this.

The reason is that this is not a common watch with available inventoried stems, so the watchmaker has to at at least partially take down the movement, measure the involved parts and cut a new stem.

If I were doing it, I would also anneal the steel because I have to put threads on it for the crown and than harden and temper it. For me that is at least 2 hours of work.
A pro, to make a living has to charge at least $100 per hour and a high end restoration shop charges four times that.

The alternate is to find someone with a stock of stems and hope they have one that fits but such a search also takes time.

Reactions: shinytickythings

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Oh well, that's what made them WAGs.

It appears as if some watchmaker added weight to the balance wheel on the cylinder watch in the from of solder, or? I don't know whether this was normally done or not. But one would think that it would be better added to the underside of the balance wheel, sort of like balancing a car tire with weights on the inside to avoid the eyesore lead.

Both watches have been either worked on by someone who shouldn't have been working on a watch or, as Dr. Jon said, a scrapper. These are common scars on dials where someone has been in a big hurry to remove the movement from a case without studying how the dial was attached. This damage is pretty much always located where the dial feet are, or right below the cam screws that you can see between the bridges next to the copper feet. On the first one the screws look like skinny top-hats. You can't see the feet. Good luck.

Reactions: eri231

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
I suspect the second watch is in a French case - I am not certain from the photographs but I suspect the very indistinct mark may be the crab hallmark with the maker's mark in the diamond cartouche on the back.

1618934825329.png 1618934855090.png

1618934766501.png

John

Reactions: eri231

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I agree with John. Most scrappers do not know French hallmarks and the watch is gold plated so eearlier owner thought it was gold and the scrapper did not know form the mark that the case is silver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CopperPry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre