• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Help 1980's Hubert Herr 1 day clock repair Chain wheels aka ratchet wheels

ActorMike

Oct 15, 2021
Country
My parents bought me this clock at Disney World in the mid-1980s. I was going to take it to the local crazy clock lady, but when I went to drop it off the guy said she was in Puerto Rico for an antique show. He then warned me there were 400 people ahead of me, said it would be ready at the end of next summer. Instead of calling when it was my turn to do the repair, they wanted to keep the clock 9 months, because "she likes to do that". Sounded shady to me! What clockmaker wants to keep 400 clocks on hand!

I figure if I can build a computer and work on my car, I can probably figure this out with the help of an expert! I appreciate any help.

I found some parts in the UK for a 1-day Hubert Herr clock 1 Day Movement Parts but probably need to find a USA supplier.

My clock works, however, one day when I went to pull the chain for the cuckoo it came free. It does not appear to be off the wheel because I can see a wheel turning inside when I move it up/down. I keep hearing that the "ratchet" may be broken or chain wheel. I'm sure this is a common problem, but the clock place tries to make it seem like it could be hundreds of things.

clock1.jpg HubertHerr.jpg

matthiasi

Dec 3, 2010
Kelowna
www.inhoffclocks.com
Country
Region
Hi there. Nothing "Shady" imho in a shop wanting to keep the clock for a bit on a small repair.
I have a 3 year wait list for major work, but will accept clocks in-house for a "Quick-fix", i.e.- where nothing is majorly wrong with it, but it will require a bit of attention to make run. Something like less than 1 hour. I do these as time permits between major jobs. Hence wanting to hang on to the clock (with the customers' blessing) until I can find a time to slot it in. This way, your wait time is actually less than 3 years, but, unpredictable.

You can check the chain wheel with a long thin screw driver. Freed it in from the bottom, then see if the chain wheel sprockets can be moved. One way will produce clicking, the other will allow the mechanism to turn. If there isn't a clicking, then in all likelihood the clickspring or the ratchet spring is broken. This will then entail a teardown of the movement.

This is a Hubert Herr mechanism. They're generally pretty good. If I remember correctly, they have since pretty much switched over to the Regula movements.

Reactions: ActorMike

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'll have to admit that now and then when I've allowed someone to keep their clock until it comes up in queue, I go to the next one I have in hand instead of calling them. I tend to work them in when I can buy out the time. Not proud to admit it, but it happens.

ActorMike

Oct 15, 2021
Country
I'll have to admit that now and then when I've allowed someone to keep their clock until it comes up in queue, I go to the next one I have in hand instead of calling them.
Do you really think another day or two matters or even an extra week after nine months? Keeping hundreds of clocks on hand for 9-12 months is all fun and games until a natural disaster, fire, burglary etc. Then you have people suing for the "sentimental value" of the missing clock.

Anyway, looks like this is an industry practice, which is good to know. Back to getting my clock working again. :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Nine months is a serious backlog. She needs to hire some help :)

Reactions: ActorMike

ActorMike

Oct 15, 2021
Country
Nine months is a serious backlog. She needs to hire some help :)
It's also a little hard to fix the clocks when you are in Puerto Rico at an antique show. On her voicemail, she has a LENGTHY, long-winded message about not calling to check your clock status so obviously, a lot of people are wanting their clocks back. Sounds to me like she's taking on more work than she can do, and then using Covid as an excuse for the backlog.

I think after a certain point, no new work should be accepted until she is caught up.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yeah, sounds like her name might be well earned.

I call all of my customers (with an estimate) in one or two working days and return most jobs in 2 to 3 weeks. Any job not ready in 3 weeks gets a friendly call explaining the delay. Right now, some Regula cuckoo clock movements are not available and I have several cuckoo clocks that are on hold. But their owners are well aware of the situation and have chosen to wait rather than repair (at about the same cost). I won't take in anymore obvious replacement job's until I can get the movements.

The best repair on a bad cuckoo chain wheel is to replace it. If available, they run around 10 bucks and most can be replaced without disassembling your movement. However, a 35 year old cuckoo is past due for a take apart service with probably a few bushings.

Willie X

Reactions: disciple_dan

ActorMike

Oct 15, 2021
Country
The best repair on a bad cuckoo chain wheel is to replace it. If available, they run around 10 bucks and most can be replaced without disassembling your movement. However, a 35 year old cuckoo is past due for a take apart service with probably a few bushings.

Willie X
How do I determine which one to buy for my clock, it's a 1-day Chalet Hubert Herr.

Also, do they have tear-down videos for this type of repair? Thanks, everybody!

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
If you’ve done it a bunch of times you can sneak a chainwheel out and a new one in.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I just link the two together and pull it through. The new one goes on as the old one comes off. Easy peezy ;)

ActorMike

Oct 15, 2021
Country
Where would be a good place I could send the clock in for repair? It doesn't look like the resources are available online to do it myself.
:-(

Also shutterbug how did you make that modification on XF for the photo uploads on your site? People on my Ford Thunderbird forum are always confused about the method for inserting a Thumbnail or Full Image.

XF-insert.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you click on thumbnail, the image will load in a smaller version for easy download speed and adequate for most viewers. The thumbnail will actually upload in full size, and can be enlarged as needed with just a click. It is the preferred format in my humble opinion.

ActorMike

Oct 15, 2021
Country
If you click on thumbnail, the image will load in a smaller version for easy download speed and adequate for most viewers. The thumbnail will actually upload in full size, and can be enlarged as needed with just a click. It is the preferred format in my humble opinion.
I figured our your upload works differently because you are using XF 2.1 and our site updated to v2.2.

I wish I could figure out a way to get my clock fixed or find out the part so I can order it.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
AFAIK, H-H went out of business recently but you can probably find the parts you need on one of the auction sites, or from someone's clock graveyard.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigDon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-