1956 Seth Thomas mantle clock Textured clock face

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by Wizardket, Sep 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wizardket

Wizardket Registered User

Oct 30, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a Seth Thomas mantle clock that my parents got back in 1956 (I was 2 years old) I remember hearing this clock all my life. I have an issue with the face plate. I was polishing up the brass and had taped off the numbers so as not to damage them, however, the inner surface of the ring is textured and came of on the tape, much to my surprise. How can I repair that?
    I was also thinking of striping and refinishing the case. Am I likely to make it worse than better? I am not sure how these were finished or if they can take any sanding once stripped. I do have a LPHV srpay gun and am not afraid to use it. Woodworking is a hobby of mine so I have all the supplies and tools. I just don't want to step into something that may have pitfalls I am not aware of.

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The texture is going to be tough to match. You'll have to experiment with different kinds of texturing (and color). I think the spray gun is the best option.