1954 M Reiner with odd hands, perhaps?

Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2018
Bewdley, Worcestershire, UK
Country
Region
I've just finished this M. Reiner plate 1457 which I bought because it was an attractive-looking clock with unusual hands - I particularly like the 1950s 'circle-in-circle' design. However on cleaning the parts the minute hand has been repaired by soldering, and I'm wondering if these hands are original to the clock. Not that it matters to me, I like it anyway. Does anyone have a similar clock with different hands?

This is the first 400-day clock I've overhauled which showed signs of previous careless repair work. The front plate was in quite a state, with a soldered-in bush and lots of deep scratches and dirty thumb prints. I have managed to get it looking a lot better, but it'll never be perfect. If you look closely you'll also see evidence of 'punching-up' of a couple of pivot holes. The movement was very oily and needed a fair bit of work, including filing down the centre arbor bush to restore some end-shake, plus a new suspension (a Unit 28C from Cousins UK) but the clock is now going very well, with over 300 degrees of total rotation and 90 degrees of overswing.

Below: as found; dial and hands; outside front plate; inside front plate; as finished.

Reiner as found.jpg Reiner dial and hands.jpg Reiner front plate outside.jpg Reiner front plate inside.jpg Reiner after.jpg

Phil

Reactions: Wayne A

Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2018
Country
Region
Kurt, you are absolutely spot-on! I thought it looked familiar. Here is a picture of the hands on my Kundo miniature, plus the circle-in-circle design on the hour hand of my 1952 synchronous Ferranti.

Kern & Link hour hand Kundo.jpg Kern & Link minute hand on Ferranti.jpg

I'm now pretty sure the Reiner's hands have been swapped. A bit of a mix-and-match. It would be nice to see what it should look like.

Phil

Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2018
Country
Region
Quick update. After it had been going for a couple of days I watched the escapement action for a while, and the EW teeth were tending to land at the transition between the entry pallet’s lock and impulse faces, causing jerky action of the fork.

The eccentric slot was scratched, showing evidence of having been adjusted in the past. On this clock, the eccentric adjusts the back EW arbor pivot rather than the anchor, and a very slight clockwise rotation of the eccentric was needed to raise the EW into slightly deeper lock.

Total rotation has now increased to around 340 degrees and the fork action is smooth.

Phil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
objectsnthemirror
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff