1950s Poppo cuckoo clock skipping a gear?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Spiffypix, Jul 13, 2019 at 1:50 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Spiffypix

Spiffypix Registered User

Saturday
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone -

I just picked up this cuckoo clock at a yard sale for $40.00. The owner said that it had been refurbished fairly recently and it seems to work fairly well...except that it seems to be skipping a gear while ticking? I don’t know squat about cuckoo clocks. You should have seen my trying to get the chain back on one of the gears lol. Is there a way to repair a skipping gear? Or do I need to take it in for service? Also, the clock struck 12:30 and the cuckoo chimed 5 times.... :???:? How the heck to do I fix that?!
    thanks!

E518A35D-B628-4849-89CE-2FB4493AC09E.jpeg 7E4A0442-88AD-4435-8730-9EBD8A97E012.jpeg 59C96F39-9634-4910-B8B7-FF3655334F7E.jpeg

2. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Your going to have to have somebody look at this clock. If you have no knowledge of clocks. This is not the one to start on.

Spiffypix likes this.
  3. Spiffypix

Saturday
    Country Flag:
    Ok thanks so much. :)

4. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the forum.

When you say skipping a gear what exactly do you mean.? If you let it run does it keep time?

You can remove the hour hand and line it up with the correct time that the chime occured and then press back on.

David

Spiffypix likes this.
  5. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Are you in AZ

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you can handle this one, spiffy...but it depends on what "skipping a gear when ticking means". David has outlined the easiest way to fix the striking problem. This is a count wheel design. As you adjust the hands for the correct time after making the adjustment, you'll have to wait for the cuckooing to end on both the top and bottom of the hour. After that all should be fine.

Spiffypix likes this.
  7. Spiffypix

Saturday
    Country Flag:
    #7 Spiffypix, Jul 14, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    No,I’m in NY.

and thanks to Shutterbug and David S for the good info. With the skipping of the gear, i mean that as the gear moves, the little piece of metal that goes into the cog hits the top of the cog itself, which means that the cog is not turning consistently. Thanks!

And OH...”Pocco” ?? WTF!? Poppo. Ugh. It won’t let me change it.

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 shutterbug, Jul 14, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 2:03 PM
    I took care of it for you, Spiffy :) That skipping might be caused by a bent tooth or an out of adjustment verge. It could also be caused by a power problem due to the movement wearing out over time. For that stuff you might need some help.
    Now that I look at it closer, I see how the eyes are not connected to the bellows like I thought ;)

9. Spiffypix

Saturday
    Country Flag:
    Thanks so much for fixing my weird error, Shutterbug.

and yes, I’m thinking this is not an easy fix for me. But it might all be moot anyway. My husband does NOT enjoy the tick/tock of a cuckoo clock. ;) So, to maintain marital bliss, i might have to send this clock to a home where it is appreciated and can sing without fear of being smashed.:p

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He'll get used to it. Tell him he'll have to deal with for 2 weeks, and if it still bugs him you'll take it down. He probably won't even notice it after that.

11. Spiffypix

Saturday
    Country Flag:
    That is a fair compromise. I’m hoping it becomes white noise after a few days. :D