1940s TELL Chronograph with Valjoux 22

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Paul Carahan, Mar 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Carahan

Paul Carahan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 21, 2017
    I am a collector of vintage chronographs and the only thing I could find on this TELL military dial chronograph was that the Valjoux 22 movement is from 1940s, more precisely from 1949; does anybody know more about who manufactured TELL chronographs and for how long?

Attached Files:

2. MINI

MINI Registered User

Sep 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    This link to Mikrolisk Trade Mark Index may provide some hints or direction to search in.

3. Paul Carahan

NAWCC Member

Mar 21, 2017
    thanks, I checked it out and it might be a good place to start as you mention and I think that being linked to Fleurier explains the high quality of my Tell chrono; now, more than this I couldn't find anywhere and I am kind of hungry for more and any hint or info will be greatly appreciated...

4. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tell probably refers to William Tell the crossbow archer of Swiss legend. The name for watches was owned by a company called SGT who sold it to Henri Sandoz. IN 194- is was SGT Societie Garde Temps.

5. Paul Carahan

NAWCC Member

Mar 21, 2017
    I think you are right about the source of the name even though I have no other manufacturer's info about it; now, I think you are referring to the SAG which was established in 1968 and gobled a lot of names including TELL. The SGT had a short life and fell in 1981 selling all individual names including: Waltham, Sandoz, Elgin, Invicta and so on...

Unfortunately, the watch I have is from the 1940s way before the SGT was founded and I can't find anything about the original TELL company anywhere. Thanks for your info, I hope someone will give me some details on the original company...

6. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Iwrote this up late at nightand while multi tasking, my bad. What I should have wrotten was that SGT bought up several watch companies including the one that owned Tell. This is in Pritchard's entry on Sandoz and the entry inTell refers to Sandoz.

However she did not list Tell as a Sandoz owned trade mark.

Here is the short list of possible owners of the Tell brand

Fabrique De Montres Avia
    Degoumois & Co
    Fabrique de Horologerie Silvia
    Montres Helvetia
    Eugene Vuilleumier SA
    William MAthez SA
    Fleurier Watch Co
    Solvil and Titus

It's in there someplace, but where I can not tell.

7. Paul Carahan

NAWCC Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Dr. Jon: I am finding myself in the same predicament, I think it is a trade mark used by Fleurier as specified in Mikrolisk Trade Mark Index, and that would explain the high quality of the watch and movement. Other than that I am in a foggy environment and can't get anything els eso far; I will dig up more and any more info or hints would be greatly appreciated.

8. MINI

MINI Registered User

Sep 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Maybe its a good time to expand your search to Fleurier and see what turns up for them?

9. Paul Carahan

NAWCC Member

Mar 21, 2017
    I tried that MINI and it turns out nothing for TELL, it looks like all data on the name is erased for some reason or another, thanks for the hint though...