1940s? Simplex Slave Clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by captainclock, Jun 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. captainclock

captainclock Registered User

Mar 4, 2013
    Male
    Custodian
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Everyone, been a long time member, but not very active as I haven't scored too many clocks recently.

About 3 years ago I went to a local antique mall and found what I thought at first was a regular old electric wall clock with its cord cut off, but when I got it home a looked at it closer I realized it was an old Simplex Slave Clock that more than likely came out of a local school building or Hospital as it kind of has that kind of look to it (black wrinkle finish on the metal case, a glass dial glass held into place with a spring and large black hands with a large red colored second hand.

After looking over the clock movement, and looking at similar clocks online I noticed that part of the movement is missing (the regulator/receiver portion of the movement) and I've tried to look online on eBay to see if I could locate any Simplex Slave Clock receiver/regulators for this clock and all I could find was receiver/regulator circuitry for more modern Simplex Slave Clocks but nothing for a 1940s vintage unit.

I was hoping to wire this clock up with a slave clock converter kit to make this clock run as a stand alone wall clock that would receive the correct signals from WWV to keep the time correct on it.

Anyone on here familiar with this particular model of SImplex Slave Clock and when it was made and where I might find the receiver/regulator circuitry for this particular slave clock movement?

Thanks for your help.

-Levi

Simplex Slave Clock Dial.jpg Simplex Slave Clock Movement.jpg Simplex Slave Clock Movement Closeup.jpg Simplex Slave Clock Model Number and Serial Number Tag.jpg

2. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
  3. captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
    Male
    Custodian
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 captainclock, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    The link you posted doesn't work, it gives me a privacy error message.

Also I know Simplex is an old American Company dating back to at least 1870s and they are still in business to this day, that's about all I know about them, and the fact that the elementary school I went to when I was a kid back in the mid to late 1990s had a Simplex Slave Clock System until they updated around 1999 with a more modern Digital Slave Clock System which also was made by Simplex ironically enough.

Also the High School I went to has the remains of an old Simplex Slave Clock system in the original part of the school that had a speaker on one side and a matching clock panel on the other side that the clocks would of hung on and were wired into, but now they just have old Seth Thomas/Quill Quartz Clocks hanging in place of the old slave clocks (the old slave clock system's wiring is still in place in the walls, but they aren't being used anymore).

4. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    It did for me too but the site is safe. Just click through your browser message. I have used this site many times and have purchased goods from it.

5. captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
    Male
    Custodian
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It doesn't give me an option to bypass the error message, see the screenshot below.

It might be because the website has a British suffix at the end (.co.uk rather than .com like we have in the U.S.A.) so because of that it will allow you to go through because you're in the same country as the website is based out of, whereas I'm not so its probably just not going to work for me.

Website Error Message.jpg

6. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Click the advanced button, accept the risk then continue.

7. captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
    Male
    Custodian
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I don't think any of the items that that website has would work for what I have because its a British Website and all of the stuff they have is designed for use in Britain not in the U.S.

Also the parts that are missing on my clock are the Magnetic Clutch that is used for advancing the hands forward (setting the clock) and a plastic cover that goes over the back.

See pictures below.

Simplex Clock Movement Closeup View.jpg Simplex Slave Clock Back Cover Full View.jpg

Appologies for the size of the pictures, I copied them off of eBay thinking they were fairly large images but they weren't.

8. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    I have one of these, complete. But it's fairly useless without the appropriate master. The synchronization signal is distributed over the power circuit, and the impulse driver demultiplexes it. As far as I can see, there's no way to set the clock without the master signal. There is one trick, but I can't recall exactly how it works. If you power the clock and hold it in a particular position, it advances to the hour. Other than setting, the clock functions as an ordinary synchronous electric. The back cover is just a plastic cup. I'm saving it for a rainy day project.

IMG_5495.JPG IMG_5496.JPG IMG_5497.JPG IMG_5498.JPG

9. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    Levi, I don't see anything on your clock that would set it, either manually with a knob, or over the power line. I think your clock is not complete. But if you put a power cord on it, and plug it in at the right moment, it will keep time.

I think you may be able to poke the lever sticking out the side of the movement to advance it? You can see on mxfrank's clock that there can be more mechanism to manipulate those controls. Once it's running poke at them and see if you can figure out how to set it.

10. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    #10 mxfrank, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    The normal setting mechanism is electronic. On mine, I'm pretty sure a signal is sent over the power mains at a specific frequency. The capacitor has to be changed so that the clock's detector matches frequency of the master. Every hour, this causes the clock to reset both the minute and second hand to the hour straight up. Once a day, a different signal is sent to get the clock to traverse to 9 o'clock, or maybe it's 6. In that way, a new clock will automatically be reset to correct time after at most 24 hours of operation. I suspect that you can force both reset modes manually, without the electronics. But you would still have to manually perform the synchronization at the hour when you set it up. Presumably, the synchronous motor would keep it in time after that. The clock has been under my bench for 25 years, because the complication isn't worth the effort for an otherwise ordinary synchronous clock, and I'm not going to bother researching and setting up a frequency control master. The only reason I hold on to it is that every now and again my wife will ask me when I'm going to get it running. My advice is to fiddle with it and see if you can manually enter either sync mode. Then set it up and forget about it until daylight savings time.

11. caperace

caperace Registered User

Nov 1, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Plug the clock in and keep it upright, lift the lever just enough for the arm that it is stopping to start to move the minute hand should move and stop at the 59 minuite. and continue to run at normal speed. Then do the same thing except lift the lever up until it latches up, the clock should run fast until it comes to 5:59 and then it will run at normal speed. That is all the correction coil will do when it receives the impulse from the master. Does not matter if it is a synchronus or electronic setup. To be able to stemset this clock you would need a different movement which has a setting knob. The only way to set it is by using the lever and by plugging in the power or shutting it off and waiting until it is the correct time and then plug it back in.

If you had the coil assy. an 8 second pulse would lift the lever enough to bring it to the 59 minute to correct the minutes, a 12 second pulse would raise the lever and lock it in place for the hour correction at 5:59. If you had an electronic movement with the tube, you could short out 2 pins on the tube and use a switch to raise the lever for correction, but I don't remember which pins to short out.

12. captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
    Male
    Custodian
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I figured out that the motor is bad anyways, so it wouldn't even work even just plugged into the wall unfortunately, because I actually tried plugging the motor straight into the wall and the motor wouldn't run no matter what I tried.