• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

1930's Neon tower Clock

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Very cool! Do you know how big it was? The clock itself reminds me of the Seth Thomas clock that for many years was the largest clock in the world.

Octagon soap 1908.jpg Colgate clock stats front.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Time

ElectricTime

NAWCC Business
Sep 28, 2002
Very cool! Do you know how big it was? The clock itself reminds me of the Seth Thomas clock that for many years was the largest clock in the world.

View attachment 715816 View attachment 715817
I have an article written by an engineer on the commissioning of the Colgate clock - I will have to find it. I believe it started running backward when first put on test.

The Clock was 16' in diameter and blown down in the hurricane of 1938.

Squire.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Time and PatH

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Wow! Do you know if the clock was restored and returned to its "home"?

ElectricTime

NAWCC Business
Sep 28, 2002
I have an article written by an engineer on the commissioning of the Colgate clock - I will have to find it. I believe it started running backward when first put on test.

The Clock was 16' in diameter and blown down in the hurricane of 1938.

View attachment 715818
The movement might have been reused at another location - I don't think the sign was ever recreated.

Reactions: PatH

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
one of the larger tower clocks are the 22-foot dials (4) on the Customs House in Boston. It is a Howard movement that urban legend says was never warranted by Howard as they said it was too small a movement to reliably move the 11' plus hands in the weather in Boston, and what with pigeon loading etc. David Hochstrasser or his brother gave us a very nice tour of the clock soon after they restored it. My 83-year-old father-in-law (Rodney Huggins) went with us. Sorry about the very poor-quality photo. I understand the 8 replacement hands were made of fiberglass "to add lightness" for the movement. These hands in wood had a lot of inertia to start and stop. If my math is correct the 4-minute hands move 14" every time the clock ticks. And oh, by the way, the new hands were all gold leafed. What a task that had to be? We went up to the very tip of the tower, there was a Perrigan falcon roosting there with little ones. She was in front of a mirror glass so we were able to get within about a foot of her. One of the best nature moments in my life! And we were able to see the outside of the original dome of the building, it still exists inside of the 1915 updated structure. And the reliability of the clock over the last century suggests E Howard was right and the government was wrong about the size needed for the installation. Update on the hands. It looks like they have been replaced once again, this time with carbon fiber, and sadly, no gold leaf. See more at

Scan10025.JPG Scan10020.JPG Scan10024.JPG Scan10022.JPG Scan10027.JPG Scan10026.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: PatH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent