ATO 1929 Leon Hatot Art Deco Clock with Garnitures

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by rlwindle, May 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rlwindle

rlwindle Registered User

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Technical Writer
    Dallas, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 rlwindle, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    I have recently been able to service this black and white alabaster and obsidian clock with silver plated owls.

I have had the clock for over four years now, the first year it ran beautifully, then it stopped and the pendulum would barely move back and forth but it wasn't enough to move the hands. It had a brass battery holder on the back of the brass movement, which turned out to be the problem. I hooked the clock up to an external 1.5 D cell battery and off it took by itself. I have removed the brass battery holder and replaced it with a plastic one, got it regulated and it keeps perfect time.

I almost had a quartz movement put in the clock but talked myself out of it. Since then I have gotten two more running by putting in a new battery compartment. When removing the old battery compartments I discovered some little orange rubber or vinyl washers which were in various stages of decomposition attached to the brass battery holders. I believe these were grounding out the current to the clock movement because they were decomposing. I put new battery holders in connected them and off all three clocks took.

These clocks are work horses and rarely need cleaning, except for the pendulum contacts, that connect to the rocking U-bar. You can clean them with a q tip.

Russell

Attached Files:

2. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    It would have been a serious loss to have replaced these
    with a quartz.
    The clock is a real beautiful clock.
    The holder shorting out is possible also, looking at the picture
    al least one terminal is corroded. electricity doesn't get through
    that.
    The failed rubber pieces could have been replaced by better insulators.
    I have a couple Kundos that I've had to use plastic battery holders in
    because there was nothing left of the original terminals or holder.
    The original square battery is also no longer available.
    Dwight

Tinker Dwight