1928 Herschede 5 tube chime reset questions

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
I'm cleaning up a Herschede 5 tube movement which was purchased by and installed in a Paine Furniture Co. clock case back in 1928 (serial number indicates 1928). While it appears to be completely intact, the chime reset looks incomplete from the factory. The typical quarter hour rack hook assembly is present, but, unlike other Herschede movements, there is no single longer pin on the chime barrel nor is there a chime reset lever to engage with the rack hook.

Similarly, there is no missing post or unused holes on the front plate. I can't imagine that Herschede would send the movement out without a reset feature, but I can't figure what might be wrong here.

I don't have Conover's book "How to Repair Herschede Tubular Bell Clocks" to consult; does anyone have a copy and would you be willing to see if there is a variation on their typical chime reset feature?

Thanks, Chris.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Chris - we're shooting in the dark here. Please post some pictures for us.

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
herschede1.jpg herschede2.jpg

Image 1 is the Herschede that does not have the chime reset or any of the posts for the lever. Image 2 is an unrestored 5 tube that does have the reset mechanism. Any idea why Herschede would sell a high end furniture maker a movement that does not self correct?

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
It also appears to have just a single tune drum, that might be smaller diameter. Might just be a cheaper version of their movement, to better compete with other companies for contracts. Does it have stopworks on the time train or a manual chime index cord.. No daylight savings time in 1928.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Interesting that it doesn't have a place for the post either. I guess if you wind them every week and never mess with them they should chime fine.

Sep 30, 2014
If you look again at the chime drum, you will not the difference. there is no reset on the drum without the teeth on the outside of it, because the regulation of when and how it strikes is located on the left side of said drum in a movement whose only melody is Westminster.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
If you look again at the chime drum, you will not the difference.
Welcome to the NAWCC's Forums Christopher. As you have no doubt noticed, this Thread is almost seven years old. However, to add to your observations, I've seen and worked on a Herschede Model 10 Dual Chime mantel clock movement which appeared to not have *all* of the chime correction parts.

I thought that someone must have been unable to properly set the feature and removed the parts in order to fix the clock. Being misguided, I took the time to fabricate the "missing" parts.

I got the correction sequence to work almost as intended, however, the pin drum drive gearing ratios would not go along with my assumptions and plans. "Correction" occurred at advancing measures each hour. After wasting a fair amount of time, I came to realize that Herschede manufactured the clock movement without any Chime Correction mechanism even though some of the parts present suggested that there had been at one time.

This was obviously the case in the Original Poster's Chime Rack Hook.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre