1925 Crescent Street

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Dch48, Feb 16, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dch48

Dch48 Registered User

Jan 12, 2012
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I got this watch in the mail today and I really like it. It's a Waltham Crescent Street dating from about 1925 with a serial number of 25101902. The dial, hands, and crystal are all in mint condition and so far it is keeping perfect time with no adjustment needed. It is in an Elgin Giant swing out movement case that is 10K gold filled and has a serial number of 7285291. I haven't been able to find any information on the case except that it was made by the Illinois Watch Case Company. I can't find any way to date the case at all but I did read that the Elgin Watch Company sued the Illinois Watch Case Company over the name and won the suit only to have it overturned by the Supreme Court. I had a little trouble at first removing the bezel but a pair of rubber gloves did the trick. I kind of like the swing out movement feature. I can't get really clear pictures yet of my own but I'll post a couple from the listing on eBay.

I do have a question. Is the spring on the regulator part of what makes the watch "adjusted"? Does it somewhat automatically adjust the watch for differences in temperature? If not, what is it's purpose?

crescent3.jpg Crescent2.jpg

2. Dch48

Dch48 Registered User

Jan 12, 2012
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Never mind the question. I see it was a little dumb. Now I see that the spring holds it against the adjusting screw. How would you adjust that? With a small jeweler's screwdriver I would assume.

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you look just below the masthead of the main page of this message board you will find the ENCYCLOPEDIA utility.If you click on it, up will come six choices, one of which is TUTORIALS. Click on it and scroll waaaaaaaaaay down to the last page, and look for watch adjustments, and click on it. There will be a menu which will give you many choices which explain different aspects of watch adjustments. I have done this for you, and the link is here: https://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Watch_Adjustment The word adjustment(s) as it pertains to high grade watches relates to a LOT more than the regulator to which you referred. Check this out, and if you have questions, please get back to us.

4. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Not to rain on your parade, but a careful look at the picture of the dial reveals a crack across the center from the area of 59 minutes to 01 seconds. There are also hairlines at 25 and 29 minutes. However, they only show up in the enlarged picture. Also, the dial appears to be about 10 years newer than the movement and it may not be original.

Yes, the pocket watch regulator, known as an Ohlson or 1908 regulator, is moved using a jeweler's screwdriver.

5. Dch48

Dch48 Registered User

Jan 12, 2012
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I noticed the lines when I had the bezel off and they don't look like cracks at all. They're more like discolorations of some kind. I just looked again and the one at 29, which I hadn't even noticed before, is the only one that's probably a crack. The other two disappear in a different light angle and do not break the surface of the dial. Manufacturing defects maybe?

I have also seen a number of listings of other Crescents from the same time period, in varying cases, that have the exact same dial. If it isn't original, I don't really care.

6. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    dch, you can sometimes bleach the hairlines with Polident or denture cleaning agents and make them less noticeable. the original dial is only important if you are selling it as original or insuring it. As you will find out, some people are purists, everything has to be original and spotless, others just want a workable, daily carry watch.

7. Dch48

Dch48 Registered User

Jan 12, 2012
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The dial really looks like a Vanguard style but does that necessarily mean it isn't original? It could certainly be a replacement for a damaged one but maybe it was fitted on to the movement which had been in a jeweler's inventory for years without being sold and the buyer wanted that particular style. There's really no way to know. I like it though and it looks really nice hanging in it's glass display dome where you can't even see any defects at all. I have adjusted the regulator where it is almost centered and in the dome, it seems to be running about 12-14 seconds slow in a week's time.