• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

1922 Stauer replica

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
It has been alleged, I have heard that perhaps these are cheap cheap cheap chinese movements with passable cases.

Lots of people are doing great things with Chinese movements.

Phobos is completely reworking them in GERMANY and other companies are dolling them up.

The truth is that you can buy 1000 watch quanitites of inexpensive AUTOMATIC chinee watch with compications even for about 20 bucks.

Jeff Hess

JPH

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
THe Chinese are cranking out some good stuff.

Agreed tht 99 percentof it is cheap and no teasily serveable.

But ther jeweled automatics are good. And many of the MOST well known brands, real big boys, have been casing their watches in China for years.

Steel is steel. And they do a GREAT job of casing Swiss movements in a precision manner.

WHat's next? Well, the Chinese have run ads that say that 100,000 peasants come from the hinterland evey day seeking work in the cities.

That means that the work force, is going to out-Japan the Japanese. Lots more stuff is going to be sent from there.

And I have no doubt that if you took them a Lange or a Patek and said "replcate this", they could do it. And it would be quality.

They are scarry in that respect....

JEff Hess

JPH

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Rumurs are rife. Many companies have all Swiss movements that are sent to CHinca for cases. Rumours are that at one time even Cartier did this. This has not been substantiated. Score of others rumoured to do this also including the like of allegedly are Tag Heuer.

ETA has factories all over the place including the far east to make parts. Some speculate that a lot of parts for SWISS movements that are "SWISS MADE" are imported from Far East factories. This has been denied in some forms.

Hamilton of the SWATCH group has made cases in the FAR EAST (HONG KONG) and even in INDIA.

I have no problem with casing a watch in CHINA.
They make GREAT cases.

ANd as others have said, I am not too prejudiced about Japanese watches either. A well designed or good running timepiece from any country is collectable and/or usable to me. I do worry about the profit margin isssue that you bring up.

The watch companies have long justified the high mark-up by poionting out the cost of promotion.

But as I pointed out, you can buy an automatic watch with case and everything in CHINA for 15 bucks or so.

What next? Jeff Hess

JPH

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
They also use a couple of other names.

Simple dial change.

Cheap watch....

JPH

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Most expensive ad was in the National Geographic($199), cheapest was in People ($149). It's all in the audience, I suppose.

-----------

Jeff,

Not the audience but the markup..different ad agencies and different magazine placement folks work on differnt markups...some watn 60 points. (a 199 watch would net the magazine 120 bucks and the "manufacturer" 80 bucks) some want 55 points or 30 grand whichever is greater.

This is the first of many mass marketed watches you will see in coming years. Many are inthe works.

Remember..retail is retail. You do not begrudge the grocery store for making a markup on your beanie-weanies or Twinkies so ya gotta let the manufacturers and the advertisers make their money too. Do not get hung up on the fact that the watch costs about 8 bucks to make, the USA importer pays 15 bucks, our government makes 5 to 10 points, the importer doubles up to 70 or so and then it is old for 149 so the magazine can make a buck and ruin a few thousand tree's inthe process.

That is why I like the net and used or vintage watches. Lower prices, less tree's killed.

JPH ;) :)

JPH

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Michael,

I cannot find anything about this company. Nor can I find much about Steinhausen.

Marketing is marketing though and I am sure that the people would not lie. do you?

Jeff Hess

JPH

W

WANGONK

I BOUGHT A STAUER AND HAVE HAD IT ABOUT A
MONTH - I LOVE THE WATCH, IT KEEPS GREAT TIME AND I GET CONSTANT COMPLIMENTS. IT ALSO CHANGES THE DAY AND DATE AUTOMATICALLY EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T EXPECT IT TO. STEINHAUSEN HAS SIMILAR WATCHES BUT THEY ALSO HAVE HIGHER END WATCHES - WITH SAPPHIRE TRIMMINGS.

BOB

W

WANGONK

I ALSO HAVE ORDERED A STEINHAUSEN MARQUIS WITH THE SAPPHIRE TRIMMINGS - NEXTTEN IS NOT SELLING THESE

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Chances are the STauer has 35 jewels also.

Many companies export that watch with 35 jewels wtih markings that say 21jewels. Why?
To get around customs laws...

For FINE Chinese watches, check out the Phobos watch site. I do not know the website but they import Chines movemetns into Germany and COMPLETLY rework them to GERMAN standards. SO much so that they are called GERMAN MADE as teh dials, rotors and parts of the cases are GERMAN. They pass the 51% German made law to beacome GERMAN MADE.... The dumbing down of the watch business... more expensive than the Seinhausen/Stauer stuff though..

JPH

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Oh geeze..

That word "worth" ..

Go to google and type in

appraise worth value theory

That word worth has so many meanings that President Clinton does not even know them all.

Jeff Hess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3号缐
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller