• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

1920 / 1921 Ingersoll Yankee Mainspring

jaukulele

Feb 23, 2012
Owasso, OK
Country
Region
The members here have been nothing but helpful and knowledgeable so far. I received the diagnosis of a broken mainspring in my Ingersoll Yankee in the Pocket Watch Repair forum.

I was wondering how I would acquire a replacement for this part. I would like to replace it myself. I've taken on a great many tasks as DIY projects and am fairly confident that I can achieve success in this repair given the proper parts and instruction.

Does anyone have one of these lying around that I could bum or buy? Thanks in advance for all the useful feedback! You guys rock!:coolsign:

Also, what information would you need to know what kind of mainspring this project would take?

jaukulele

Feb 23, 2012
Owasso, OK
Country
Region
The diagnosis has been confirmed. The main spring is broken on the end that touches the barrel's wall. Like a dummy I didn't remove the plate one piece at a time. Instead, I removed the entire plate. So I went ahead and gave all the parts a bath, let them dry, and reassembled the watch. Then I focused on the mainspring and barrel. Everything appears to be doing just fine except for the spring.

Any help?

Thanks!

jaukulele

Feb 23, 2012
Owasso, OK
Country
Region
I don't know all the watch anatomy lingo but I'll give it a go. Inside the barrel, there is a little nipple on the barrel's wall. The mainpring had a hole that caught this nipple. There is a lid/gear that fits on top of the barrel and has a large pinion with a C-shaped piece around it. This catches the hole on the other end of the spring.

jimtone

Dec 28, 2011
Doesn't the spring have notched edges were it passes thru a slit in the barrel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaChelle
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller