1914 Rob. T. H. Ingersoll & Bro

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by crfulton12, Apr 1, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crfulton12

crfulton12 New Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Technical Director/Director of engineering
    Kansas City, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello all, I am new to this community, and this is my first thread. I recently acquired this 1914 Ingersoll at the community yard sale for $30.00. Running and working perfectly, I was intrigued by the portrait on the face. I did what research I know how on the internet and came to the conclusion that this is a portrait of Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien? As you can see the back of the watch is engraved as well, a large W, a small royal crown at the top all inside the cross. I have read a story online, through the British military archives that talks about a small silver watch being presented to Sir Horace at the Christmas Day Truce of 1914 by Cpl. Mike Hibbert. If anyone has info I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

-Cam

Attached Files:

2. Squite

Squite Registered User

Jun 26, 2012
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Squite, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    I don't know much about the story behind Hibbert's presentation, but there is a French film about the truce entitled Joyeux Noel, which stars an international cast, including Diane Kruger of 'National Treasure' and 'Troy' fame.

I would suspect that photo on the dial was added decades later, as I can see what looks like pixels of the image. This is often done in an attempt to 'dress up' dollar watches, in an effort to make them more desirable. Also, I doubt many Ingersoll dollar watches were cased in solid silver cases (though I wouldn't be shocked to see someone come up with some examples).

This watch should be of the WWI period (1912) according to the serial number.

3. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Neat watch. I don't doubt the authenticity of the picture or the engraving but I am wondering how you came to the conclusion the pic is of Smith-Dorrien? Google image search has plenty of pics of S=D but I didn't see any that looked like the gent on your watch. I checked to see if it might be Kaiser Wilhelm (because of the "W" in the cross and because there is another Ingersoll commemorative for him) but it didn't much resemble him either. It does seem improbable anyone would present the illustrious Sir Smith-Dorrien with a lowly Ingersoll. Perhaps the watch was produced in a small batch as a commemorative to honor him. That is about all I don't know :) about this watch but I think you got a scarce and interesting piece. -Cort

4. jcreamer49

jcreamer49 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 30, 2009
    I've seen this watch before -- I think it was illustrated in a previous edition of Shugart's Complete Guide to Pocket Watches, but I can't find it in either of the editions I have available (1996 and 2007).
    If I remember correctly, according to Shugart the man pictured on the dial is Emperor William I, who was the first of the three emperors of the German Empire. He died in 1888 and was succeeded by Frederick I, who (owing to his terminal cancer) was succeeded the same year by the better-known William II, who was on the throne during World War I.
    The back of the watch shows the famous Iron Cross, which has been associated with the German military since the early nineteenth century. The letter at the center of the cross is supposed to be the initial of the German emperor at the time the medal was issued -- in this case, 'W', for William.
    I'd be tempted to think that your watch is a one-off, except for that pesky illustration I saw in Shugart -- unless yours is the very same watch! Now, as to how many of these were produced, and why, and by whom -- can't help you there.

5. crfulton12

crfulton12 New Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Technical Director/Director of engineering
    Kansas City, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow, thank you for this awesome input, I pulled up the picture of Emperor William and agree it has to be him, its a dead on match!

6. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I just stumbled across the picture of the Kaiser Wilhelm watch in the Shugart Price Guide but it is a New Haven not an Ingersoll. My book is the '06 edition but I'll guess it is listed in the newer editions. Rather pricey and three stars too. The only difference is the oval frame around the portrait on your watch but the pic is a match.-Cort