1905 Bawo and Dotter tube-chimer - maintenance questions

Ramsey Badawi

Oct 4, 2021
Country
Hi all
I just acquired my first tube-chimer - a B&D with 9 tubes and a Bauerle movement. I have limited clock experience. I noticed a few things and would welcome some pointers:
1. There is a busted thread on the chime weight cable (pic attached). Is this of urgent concern?
2. The hammers do not rotate freely about their pivots - they move, the chimes sound fine, but they are sort of jerky. Should I lubricate these pivots? See pic.
3. The tubes are dull and have some minor oxidation. I was thinking to have a go at them with some barkeeper's friend and then finish off with a buffer. Is this a safe approach?
4. I need to have the face off for restoration. The second hand is giving me pause. Will that pry straight off or do I need to do something smarter? See pic.

Many thanks for your advice!

Picture1.png Picture1.png Picture2.png Picture3.jpg

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The usual rule of chime clock movements is 'If you don't know when it was last overhauled, it's time to overhaul it'.
The second hand is friction fit on its arbor and may benefit from a small touch of penetrating lube to free it up. Do not force it.

Tubular bell chime clocks are inherently higher maintenance compared to a typical bell or gong chime.
Attention to the hammers and tubes are a must to ensure everything operates smoothly and without failure.

I would suggest getting in touch with brian fisher or Bruce Alexander since they've worked on tubular bell chimes before.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
This clock appears to be way way past due for an overhaul. Willie X

Ramsey Badawi

Oct 4, 2021
Country
The guy I bought it off said it had been serviced in May, but it is clear it was not a very thorough job. I'll try and find out what was actually done.

Ramsey Badawi

Oct 4, 2021
Country
OK, gentlemen - message received and understood. I'll call a pro to get this properly overhauled. I have every intention of enjoying this clock for the next 25 years, then passing it on to someone else who will appreciate it. I can indulge my interest in learning on something a little less awesome.

Any recommendations for a pro who can deal with something like this in the Nor Cal/Sacramento area?

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
Barkeepers friend on the tubes is probably a terrible idea. I suggest watching a couple YouTube vids on polishing. Go to harbor freight. Buy a decent 8” grinder if you don’t already have one. Get a buffer wheel for it and the grey or green rouge.

Reactions: Ramsey Badawi

Jeff Salmon

Apr 11, 2002
Thank-you!
Yes, Simichrome or Mother's is the best and easiest way to do the polishing. They get a film on them and it comes off easily. Use a pair of gloves and some rags. Using a buffing wheel would be more difficult, I think. These movements are very substantially made and proper servicing will keep them running for a long time. I need to do mine again, last done in 2006. Same movement.

Ramsey Badawi

Oct 4, 2021
Country
... I need to do mine again, last done in 2006. Same movement.
So, now I am curious - does yours have a deadbeat or an anchor escapement? Mine is an anchor which just seems a bit weird. J.A. Olson thinks it could be a short experimental production run, or possibly the movement has been modified. The number stamped on the movement is "33", which suggests a short production run to me ...

Dave Swan-George

Jul 1, 2013
Michigan
Country
Region
Blue magic or white diamond is what I use for all of my polishing needs. It works great on virtually any metal that needs polishing. Here’s an after picture of my 1924 Herschede after I did the weights, pendulum, and tubes. And a before and after picture of a 1946 Herschede with a before and after picture. 69D15DE9-BF6A-4BE5-AC92-D6250A294044.jpeg FD249AB2-0C18-48C6-A3B3-E5522366D03F.jpeg DE5073A7-CCE2-465D-87ED-4F6317B6EE76.jpeg

Ramsey Badawi

Oct 4, 2021
Country
Blue magic or white diamond is what I use for all of my polishing needs. It works great on virtually any metal that needs polishing. Here’s an after picture of my 1924 Herschede after I did the weights, pendulum, and tubes. And a before and after picture of a 1946 Herschede with a before and after picture. View attachment 723255 View attachment 723256
Great results, clear from those pics. Thanks for the tip!
- Ramsey

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Clocks always suffer during a move. Have your local clock guy make a house call to access its condition and make any needed adjustments if that's all it needs. He should be able to provide a quote for you if it was not properly repaired before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-