• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

18th Century Pocket Watch from Lancaster, PA

jmelfelt

New User
Apr 11, 2021
Country
A Google search for information about a recently recovered family heirloom pocket watch brought me to this forum. I hope the experts here can further educate me about this watch.

I believe it was originally owned by my direct ancestor, Abraham DeHuff (1735-1821), a prominent citizen of Lancaster, PA, who reportedly carried this watch during the Revolutionary War. He served from 1775-1778, so the watch may date from around that time. The documentary evidence which supports this history seems fairly reliable, but it is not bulletproof.

A watchmaker in my community examined the watch and told me it has a fusee movement typical of pocket watches from that period. He suspects the movement to be European, but says he’s not certain. The watch runs for a brief time, then stops. Repair efforts have not been successful.

I can see six tiny, stamped letters arranged in an arc on the inside of the rear cover. . As best I can make them out, it says CUIVRE which I understand means the case material is copper or brass. I do not see any identifying markings on the movement.

I would very much like to learn more about the likely origins of this watch. Even informed speculation from subject matter experts is welcome. Some photos are included for reference.

Thanks in advance.

DSC01631.JPG DSC01634.JPG DSC01635.JPG DSC01640.JPG

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
jmelfelt,

Moved to the European section for identification, and
welcome to the NAWCC Forum!

Rob

Last edited:

S.Humphrey

Oct 4, 2012
Maryland
Country
Region
Unfortunately, a very anonymous watch. It's possible there may be identifying marks under the dial, but no guarantee.
From everything I see, it does appear to be French and mid to late 1700's.

S.Humphrey

Oct 4, 2012
Maryland
Country
Region
It is fantastic that you have such a rich family history connected to it.
Sorry I didn't say that to begin with.

Reactions: musicguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lurch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent