18th Century English Longcase Clock Dial Question

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by David A Vallone, Feb 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David A Vallone

David A Vallone Registered User

Jan 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Some of the Black painted material used on the Roman numerals on my Brass clock dial chipped off over the years in spots and I would like to restore / replace the material in those areas. My question is were these numbers painted with just Black paint or a different type of material that was thicker? There is quite an indentation in the areas where the Black has chipped off and it would have to have be been a pretty thick paint. It almost looks like a hard Black wax.

Thank You,

Dave

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is black sealing wax.

The wax is applied before silvering, so in the conventional method if you are going to rewax you must then resilver afterwards. However I have heard of people just warming the back of the chapter ring to redistribute the remaining wax. You could then refinish by rubbing with cream of tartar and see how it came up.

If that didn't work you can then proceed to a full rewax.

It depends how bad it is to my mind. I have resilvered loads of dials and never rewaxed one. I don't object to a few small losses.

I have one dial that will be rewaxed before resilvering but that is because some idiot had it electroplated and all of the wax fell out during the process. It is now black with tarnish and no wax.

3. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Watch this.