18s Waltham Vanguard

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by HUDD, Apr 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. HUDD

HUDD Registered User

Apr 11, 2004
    This is a 23 jewel version I recently acquired ready serviced. It didn't keep time very well and there was over 30 sec per day difference between dial up and stem up positions. Examination revealed meantime screws had been filed down on the corners and also had thick timing washers under them, plus timing washers under other timing screws. Worst of all the upper balance jewel and it's cap jewel could be moved up and down in the cock even with the jewel screws in place and correctly tightened. Since the cap jewel seems to have the correct raised gold setting then I conclude the upper balance hole jewel is the wrong one for this model. I'm going to strip this watch and repair / service it myself for my own piece of mind but I can't seem to locate anyone with the correct upper balance jewel ( 12 hole ). Can anyone please point me in the right direction ? All the ones I've seen so far don't distinguish between the the 1883 and 1892 models.

Mike (Hudd)

2. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The cock hole jewel for the 1892 model is listes as part #1784. I believe it came in three hole sizes.

3. HUDD

HUDD Registered User

Apr 11, 2004
    Thanks Jerry
    Good to have a part number. That should help my search. On that on line auction site there are 18s Waltham balance hole jewels for sale, but when I ask which model these are for they can't say. They don't quote part numbers either.

Mike

4. wilsonpaule

wilsonpaule Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 wilsonpaule, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Mike

Do you know what pivot size the staff is? I will see if I have the correct jewel for you. I have an old Waltham Material case with everything still in the original vials. Not sure if I have the correct jewel, but willing to take a look and pass it on to you if I have what you need.

Paul

5. wilsonpaule

NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oops, part 1784 pivot 12, give me a few minutes to see if I have one or two kicking around.

6. wilsonpaule

NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike

SOrry, only have the 1474 jewels, not the 1784 ones. It was worth a try.

Paul

7. HUDD

HUDD Registered User

Apr 11, 2004
    Hi Paul

Sorry to take such a long time replying. Health issues and a long holiday got in the way. It is very kind of you to look out for the correct jewel for me. I did manage to get a correct 12 size hole jewel from a guy who makes them up new and it solved that particular problem.

I even bought a poor condition Waltham 845 for parts too but it turned out to be too good to use for parts. It does have a broken pallet arbour pivot though so I shall have to find a replacement for that ?

Best Regards
    Mike