18s minute hand hole tightening

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by jboger, Nov 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a Hamilton 18s. The minute hand hole is a hair too big. Is there a way to tighten this hole? I have a staking set. Could any of those stakes be used to tighten the hole. Is this a permanent fix?

Secondary question. I see sets of hands sold on eBay. Were I to buy a set, how would I know in advance that I might have the same problem? Seems risky to me, and not inexpensive.

2. fijidad

fijidad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Retired
    Escondido, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Take a look at the images I've attached below. Use the stake with a convex tip...I'm never sure just what size to use relative to the existing hand hole, but try one that is approximately the same size as the existing hole. Do one light tap with your hammer, then test. If you go too far, you'll have to bore the hole bigger again, but just do a bit at a time and that way you'll save time and stress on the hand...not to mention your brain.

Hole.JPG Hole 2.JPG

3. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the quick response. Just to make sure I'm on the same page, I get my concave and convex backward. When you write "covex" you mean rounded outward, yes? That will make the hole smaller? I did look at your picture but the resolution is not so good. I'm ready to give this a try, once I sure about the vexes and vaves.

4. fijidad

fijidad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Retired
    Escondido, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yup...convex meaning curved outward like a ball.

5. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I seem to have uploaded the wrong pictures. Anyway, the hand was totally loose; would just fall off. My first attempt, tightened the hole but not enough. The second time, I tapped lightly several times, rotated the hand, tapped again, and so forth. That seems to have done the trick, but I will wear the watch for a few days to see if the hand holds. If not, I will tighten again. Here are some pictures.

It's a Hamilton model 940, a private label watch from Baltimore, Md. The retailer was Arthur Wallenhorst, who apparently was quite successful around the year 1900. More can be found about him on the web.

Thanks for your help.

IMG_0663.jpg IMG_0664.jpg IMG_0665.jpg

karlmansson and Peter John like this.