American PW 18s John C. Dueber - What is this curious lever hooked to the mainspring barrel?

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Hans van den Berg, Feb 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Donation Service is back after a brief absence to fix the payment service. Please give it a try! Donate
  1. Hans van den Berg

Hans van den Berg Registered User

Feb 4, 2011
    The Netherlands, Europe
    Country Flag:
    Having mainly cleaned 16 size pocket watches in the past, I have recently turned my attention to 18 size. Today I started on two 1890 John C. Dueber grade watches that immediately raise a question.

Under the dial, right next to the lever setting and winding mechanisms both watches happen to have the same curious lever that appears hooked to the bottom side of the mainspring barrel. See attached picture.

The whole construction somehow reminds me of Abbott stem wind conversions on KW Elgins, that I only know from pictures, but here there’s no Abbott patent text, so I don’t think it has anything to do with that.

Not having seen this on other watches, I am curious to find out what this is. Can anyone shed a light on this, what this lever's function is? Thanks!

John_C_Dueber_Image1_1500_.jpg

2. Harvey Mintz

Harvey Mintz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Male
    Software Engineer, retired
    South East Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks to me like it's the click. And the part that sticks out to the edge of the dial allows you to release the click and let the mainspring wind down.

3. Hans van den Berg

Hans van den Berg Registered User

Feb 4, 2011
    The Netherlands, Europe
    Country Flag:
    Ah, thanks. that indeed makes sense. Ha, on 16 size watches these clicks are on a more accessible spot.

That will come in handy, as one of the two is wound tightly and the movement is somehow stuck. Now I can properly let the mainspring down, investigate and clean it.

4. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Retired-bad back but still movin'.
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    I believe some movements have these "clicks" as secondary click-?? Sort of a courtesy to watchmakers?
    Is this true?

5. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
  6. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    As Harvey said, used for releasing and letting down the mainspring..
    Must use a bench key when released so the spring doesn’t snap down quickly

Tom

7. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Just pointing out some movements have a click plus this other mechanism-I have no idea what it is called,only it's function. Here is a comparison-see?

SAM_8454-001.JPG SAM_8456-001.JPG

8. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Here it is closed-

SAM_8458-001.JPG

9. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Marty101 I believe the little lever on your Elgin functions to lock the movement in winding position when it's out of the case. Otherwise it would default into the setting position & wreak havoc while the movement was being timed due to the engagement of the setting mechanism.

If you have a bench key, you might try seeing the effect of changing the lever's position vis-a-vis the winding/setting function. I can't remember whether you have to push the bench key down before the lever locks the watch in winding mode so you may have to play around a bit.

10. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Aha-yes,thank you.

11. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep I like it when those Elgins have that feature, some didn't and letting it down can be a bit hairy. It just disengages the spring that pushes the winding clutch into setting mode.