1892 Seth Thomas 5-7/8 Plus 1/2 Movement

tommykat1

Dec 18, 2021
Country
I'm in the process of restoring an 1892 Seth Thomas kitchen clock. It arrived mostly complete, but I'll need to fashion the alarm trip lever, as it was tossed years ago. So far, I've bushed, cleaned and oiled the movement, and it's been running in the test stand for a few days.

As the attached photos show, the nomenclature reads "5 7/8" with "1/2" underneath. I know that the first figure indicates roughly the pendulum length from top of ribbon to bob, but what does "1/2" refer to?

Also, is it safe to assume this is a number 44 movement? Neither of the lower plate ears have this stamp, as they do on other examples.

As always, thanks for your help!

Photos are prior to work performed.

20220316_143739.jpg 20220421_213554.jpg

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
On most S-Ts the number (5 7/8) would indicate the suspension rod length. From one end to the other, NOT counting the pendulum bob.

Your movement is a #44.

Duno about the (1/2), others may know.

Willie X

Last edited:

tommykat1

Dec 18, 2021
Country
On most S-Ts the number (5 7/8) would indicate the suspension rod length. From one end to the other, NOT counting the pendulum. Your movement is a #44.
Willie X
Thanks, Willie. Anybody have an idea what the "1/2" means?

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
From your photos, it seems no bushings have been added to that movement in any critical places. If it is, as you say, 130 years old, it is inevitable the movement plates are worn, and probably at most pivot holes. Also, it seems the click assemblies are original. Those would surely need to be updated with that old a movement. Worn click assemblies can be a danger to the movement as well as the hand winding the clock. If you plan to "restore" the clock in a workmanlike manner, those are two things that should not be ignored.
JMHO
Dick

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It COULD mean 1/2 turn of the main wheel per day? Just a guess. Your verge has been messed with in a bad way.

tommykat1

Dec 18, 2021
Country
It COULD mean 1/2 turn of the main wheel per day? Just a guess. Your verge has been messed with in a bad way.
Yes, a prior repair person bent it, took two punches on the verge pivot hole, and three on the third wheel pivot hole. Yikes! All better now. Fully bushed and clock has been running steady for a week.

Alphonsus7

Aug 6, 2022
Country
I'm in the process of restoring an 1892 Seth Thomas kitchen clock. It arrived mostly complete, but I'll need to fashion the alarm trip lever, as it was tossed years ago.

How did you fashion a new alarm trip lever? I recently came into the possession of an ST with the same missing arm.

Reactions: tommykat1

tommykat1

Dec 18, 2021
Country
Alphonsus7, below is a closeup of the fabrication. I didn't have any kind of example to refer to. so I had to wing it.

I first tried .032 x .25" brass by about 2," (sorry, I didn't write down the length) but the end slipped off the alarm cam, even with a bend in it on the end. The solution was to use .064 x .25"

BTW, the shouldered setscrew is important. If your clock didn't have it in place (mine did), good luck finding one!

Here ya go:

20 Restoration, Fabricated Alarm Lever.jpg 21 Restoration, Alarm Lever, Attached.jpg 27 Restored, Door Open, With Movement.jpg

Alphonsus7

Aug 6, 2022
Country
Alphonsus7, below is a closeup of the fabrication. I didn't have any kind of example to refer to. so I had to wing it.

I first tried .032 x .25" brass by about 2," (sorry, I didn't write down the length) but the end slipped off the alarm cam, even with a bend in it on the end. The solution was to use .064 x .25"

BTW, the shouldered setscrew is important. If your clock didn't have it in place (mine did), good luck finding one!

Here ya go:

View attachment 720856 View attachment 720857 View attachment 720860
Darn. I’m missing all three pieces.

Reactions: tommykat1

tommykat1

Dec 18, 2021
Country
Darn. I’m missing all three pieces.
Unfortunately, the pieces don't come up often for sale. I've seen some full movements with all the bits, but you'll pay a premium.

On a separate thread, another member went through the steps of fashioning both a trip lever and shoulder screw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-