1858 Appleton Tracy

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by artbissell, Feb 3, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. artbissell

artbissell Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    1979 startup ABCO Industrial Sales
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    #1 artbissell, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    11977 18s hunter all original was first one of 10 made Jan. 58 to Dec. 59 with gold balance and 15j. According to the serial search. True? I bought because it was an original sale by Clark Brothers, Rutland Vt as marked on movement and dial. My high school years were in that county which still has very small 4000? population. The whole state population is only that of a small city. Still more cows than people so few jewelers. The seller and I think it kind of special but ebay bidders did not. Seller's permitted photos here. Watchbob of Florida. Left surfaces with old oxidation but assured good running. Any comments would be appreciated. I have a good variety of Walthams but never kept the many 57 models except for an 1875 so I guess with these 2 I have an early and late model 57 if not the extremes. How many years for the 57?

a.t.8x.jpg a.t10x.jpg a.t,xx.jpg a.t3x.jpg a.t4x.jpg a.t.ax.jpg a.txx.jpg

a.t.8x.jpg a.t10x.jpg a.t,xx.jpg a.t3x.jpg a.t4x.jpg a.t.ax.jpg a.txx.jpg

shovelhead and Keith R... like this.
  2. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice low serial number, and a very cool case. I love that deep engine turning. The seconds bit has those flourishes that I think I've seen mostly on Appleton Tracy's. Maybe you got really lucky and the dial will be a signed Moorhouse? Stranger things have happened, no?
    I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable than I will contribute some educational input. Until then, congratulations on a very nice keywind.

3. Squite

Squite Registered User

Jun 26, 2012
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I concur. I don't generally go gaga over American watches, but that's pretty special.:excited:

4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The model 1857 was produced from July 1857 until 1880 or so. The 1st Appleton Tracy 15 jewel was 5001. The last 15 jewel was produced in 1878 in the 1,041,700 range, a little over 63000 15 jewel models produced in 927 runs. Though a little clunky to carry, I like the 1857's and have a couple I carry occasionally, like last weekend at my step daughter's best friends wedding in Cape May, NJ.

5. John Cote

John Cote Director
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
  6. Daniel W.

Daniel W. Registered User

May 31, 2012
    Retired from petroleum pipeline
    Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great Watch Mr. Art !! As noted that case is just icing on the cake.

7. In The Details

In The Details Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Drool...
    Very Nice!!!!

8. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Male
    Track & cross Country Coach
    Indiana PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your case hallmark is of the Fortenbach case company located at that time in Carlstadt, NJ. This company was the forerunner to the Joseph Fayes company.

Tom

9. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    Tom Huber: You understood my undeclared curiosity about the American Watch Co. case probably original on Appleton Tracy Co. movement. I think likely the movement was at Clark Brothers little shop long before sold. The eagle is hallmark for casemaker not Am. Watch Co. that was later the corporate name?

a.txx.jpg a.t.ax.jpg

10. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Male
    Track & cross Country Coach
    Indiana PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually Art, I shot too quickly from the hip. Your case is an American Watch Co case, not a Fortenbach case. My vision and mind weren't working together.

Tom

11. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Nice find! I've had a KW Swiss lady's PW signed by the same jeweler. -Cort

12. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    #12 artbissell, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    Nice to know. Could I see it here? Is it dated? You have prompted me to look for Clark brothers history. I got my my first watch when living there at age 16. An expensive $14.95 17j Swiss g.f. w.w. with metal expansion band from Montgomery Wards catalog. My similar friends could not afford such. They worked father's farms. I got paid $2.50 a day with a fine free lunch at president of local Dairy Association farm with his unpaid son so fortunately did not have to do milking snd manure cleanups. Was passed off by him to be gardener for summer estate residence at 50 cents/hr. Countess Geneva De Malroy (her real name Bad King) grandson same age as me had Lemania
    chronograph. After 65 years I finally got several. Even one better than his: 14k chronometer same age version. Started interest in watches for me.

documents%20006b.jpg

documents%20006b.jpg

shovelhead likes this.
  13. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    General opinion with 3 good experts at our monthly meeting is the case is a fine appropriate one but not original. The gold balance has perfect position and motion and the jeweling is well mounted. Preferred name is Appleton Tracy not P.S.Bartlett.

14. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A very fine movement in a fabulous case I see here. Adorable!

15. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    #15 artbissell, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Member Dave Cooper acquired and thoroughly renovated a well preserved pinned plate Bartlett in its original fine silver case. Near same age with serial 11144 as the better grade 11977 shown here. As a collectible I like it better than the Appleton. Note the silver case is marked Appleton. How many of these were produced? artb

IMG_5352x.jpg IMG_5360x.jpg IMG_5365x.jpg IMG_5369x.jpg IMG_5373xx.jpg IMG_5379x.jpg IMG_5381x.jpg