1826 C & J HOLMES, Cheadle half hunter pair cased verge fusee #9831

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by John Matthews, Nov 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 John Matthews, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    This pair cased half hunter, is one of the best preserved example that I have encountered. It is in fine condition throughout.

20191109 001-2.jpg 20191109 004.jpg 20191109 005.jpg

Coincidentally, I was in the process of acquiring the watch at the same time as Piers had posted an almost identical example here. Indeed his example was cased, in the previous year, by the same case maker, George Richards. I also believe that it is possible that the movements may have shared a common early history, although they were possibly completed by different finishers. Both are likely to have been finished in Coventry, rather than Lancashire, but there is also the possibility that the final work was done in London (see below). All the cased examples of this style that I have recorded, where reliable dates are available, are from the second quarter of the C19th. All were retailed in the English Midlands. With very little evidence, I have formed the opinion they may have been favoured by upper middle class industrialists, who were attracted by their substantial 'protected' appearance, being entirely suitable for when they engaged in their 'country pursuits' in the Shires. :)

The pair cases are in the style of the earlier part of the C19th; the pendant still being flattened rather than circular which became more typical as the century progressed. At this time most of the verges were produced in Coventry. The majority were not of the highest quality, they were not jewelled and often lacked maintaining power, as does this example. In Coventry, at this time, I believe they were produced in fairly large numbers compared with the smaller numbers of Massey levers and single rollers. My impression is that between 1820 and 1840 verges remained the Coventry 'bread and butter' output.

20191109 007.jpg 20191109 011.jpg

While pair cased half hunter verges are not as frequently found as other variants, I would not describe them as uncommon. As far as I can determine, what is uncommon are examples that have been cased in London – the majority of the Coventry output at this time was cased in Coventry or Birmingham. Making this example, and that posted by Piers, a cut above the average. In my opinion it is the cases that set them apart, not the movements which lack the features associated with quality.

20191109 003.jpg 20191109 010.jpg

The mark [GR] incuse, was registered in London by George Richards on 4 September,1823, when he was based at 17 Bridgewater Square (close to the Barbican). He registered his first recorded mark in July of 1823 and later marks in 1834 and 1837. He is recorded in Grimwade as a case maker.

20191109 005-2.jpg

As can be seen from the photographs, the pendant also carries a hallmark for the same year as the case and fortunately has a discernable maker's mark [JP] incuse. This is the mark of a known London pendant maker, James Pascall who entered this mark on 21 May 1821, when he was working from 18 Wilderness Row, Goswell Street a short distance from Richards. (Part of Clerkenwell Road, from Goswell Road and St John's Street, was adopted from Wilderness Row, a late C17th street, the name of which was abolished in 1878.) Pascall entered a second mark in 1836, so Richards and Pascall appear to have been contemporaries through their respective working lives and further examples of their collaboration no doubt exist.

Richards & Pascall 01.jpg Richards & Pascall 02.jpg

The dial and the hands of the watch are in fine condition. I particularly like the hands which I assess, like the case, to be of a quality which far exceeds the movement. In my assessment they are a perfect fit and work so well with the half hunter style of the box. I am hoping they are original – Graham what do you think? If they are, the survival of their delicate form is somewhat remarkable, but given the overall condition, and the care which the watch has been given across the years, it seems possible. If they are original, this would lead me to believe that the final finishing may have been done in London.

20191109 006.jpg

According to McKenna, the Holmes family were a well known clock making firm based in Cheadle from at least the middle of the C18th. The firm was established by Andrew Holmes who was born in 1740. It is believed that he had a son, Thomas, who operated out of High Street premises from 1784 until 1822, when it appears Charles and Joseph, his sons, became involved in the business. A clock in Cheadle Parish Church, carries the signature Charles & John Holmes, made in 1829. McKenna offers no relationship between 'Joseph' and 'John'. In Pigots trade directory of 1828 Charles and John Holmes are recorded as clock and watch makers, I am therefore unsure whether 'Joseph' is a typographical error. However, McKenna states that by 1851 Charles and Joseph were both 'gentleman' so further research is needed - unless any of our clock collectors can help. For this particular watch, it is fairly safe to assume that C & J Holmes were the retailers.

20191109 008.jpg

The watch came with a Cheadle watch paper that carrying a record of a service in 1879. It is possible that this and the associated name of the owner, relates to the watch. I will post information when I have done further research.

John

Keith R... and musicguy like this.
  2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Fantastic

Rob

Keith R... and John Matthews like this.
  3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John,

They're certainly a very good fit with the dial, they match each other in style and they're designed to cater for the reduced view when the half hunter lid is shut. I believe they're appropriate for the age of the piece and do show a better than usual level of delicacy and finish.

Regards,

Graham

John Matthews likes this.