18 Size Hunting Case Pendant Set

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by ben_hutcherson, Jun 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. ben_hutcherson

ben_hutcherson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm spinning this off of another thread running now, but it's something that was brought up and discussed a bit but I've not actually seen an example.

Of course, 18 size OPEN FACE pendant set watches are quite common-to the point that lever set OF 1883 model Walthams are considered something of a prize to an '83 collector. With Waltham, you also see a lot of early OF 1892 models that are pendant set, along with later lower grades of 1892. Most other makers made quite a few PS OF 18 size watches after ~1900.

If we discount N size Howards, though(which of course are not quite 18 size), I don't recall ever seeing a hunting case pendant set 18 size watch. In fact, every 18 size hunting case I've handled has used a set screw to retain the pendant.

Does such a beast exist? I've come to believe that it doesn't, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

2. luvsthetick

luvsthetick Registered User

Mar 31, 2010
    retired
    Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 luvsthetick, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    One example where a pendant set 18s hunter case is necessary, all 18s Elgin convertibles (made beginning in the 1878-79 time frame) are pendant set. No point having a movement that could be hunter cased without case makers making suitable cases to mount them in their hunter orientation.

3. Kevin Neathery

Kevin Neathery Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How strict do you want to be on this? Only major American watch makers?

4. Kevin Neathery

Kevin Neathery Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not sure if this playing dirty for this but.... IWC was an American company prior to it's Swiss incarnation. Bradley NY private label.

20180309_090746.jpg
    20180309_090837.jpg

5. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I worked in both engineering and product management in the computer industry and it was always amusing when the marketing folks asked for a feature to make a product less expensive because it was nearly always the case that the engineering solution was more expensive than the original design (although the company could still sell it for less and accept a smaller margin.)

The 18 size pendant set convertible was intended to be the cost reduced version, but the elaborate and troublesome setting mechanism clearly must have cost more to make than the simple lever set version. I am sure the sales force had asked for a "cheap pendant set watch."

6. luvsthetick

luvsthetick Registered User

Mar 31, 2010
    retired
    Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good point!

A curiosity since the 16s are lever set with a similar set/wind mechanism.

7. butlercreek

butlercreek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Male
    Chief bottle washer
    Northwest
    Country Flag:
    #7 butlercreek, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    I have a hunter cased Waltham 1892 that is pendant set.....that was without a doubt intended for use on the railroad.....