• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

18с English bracket clocks verge repair

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Greetings, Colleagues.

I was asked by one of our local message board members about repair of English bracket clocks movement. It has an original verge escapement and it looks like the backcock was cracked long ago. So some early repairman has installed what you can see on the pictures. Is it correct? Does anyone has a picture of how that backcock originally looked like (without decorative shield)?

Second question is about the fusee ropes. What you suggest he should install there as a replacement? Fishing rope? What size? Or maybe there are better alternatives?

Many thanks in advance!

BR,
Oleg 75829.jpg 75830.jpg 75831.jpg 75832.jpg

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
I made a similar set-up for a movement with a crown escapement once. I believe the block that the verge block sets in. Is suppose to be one piece. Let me do some research and I will get back to you. Unless somebody else has information first. I use the NAWCC library to get the information I used to build the one for the crown escapement. Put the one I made the whole verge and badcock was missing.
H/C

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Thank you, Colleagues!

Now it's time to solve the puzzle: where to buy this phosphor bronze lines in Russia =))))

BR,
Oleg

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Some verge escapement clocks have a steel block for the knife edge vee block, and there is a brass plate screwed to the back cock, often decoratively fretted.

The back verge pivot is polished and rounded on its end in case it contacts the said plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent