1790 clock

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Raymond Gocken, Feb 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Raymond Gocken

Raymond Gocken Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2013
    In the attached picture is a clock mechanism very close to what I have. I bought the case and clock works in pieces at an auction as I knew it was old. My problem is it is missing a few parts and could use a little help in figuring out the dimensions and construction of these parts.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated....

1790clockworks.jpg

2. Raymond Gocken

NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Guess it would help if I pointed out the missing parts on my mechanism...first is the lifting lever on the upper right corner. both pieces are lost, second is the lifting lever gear that is running of the larger snail gear on the time arbor, third is the lever from the base of the arm ratchet that rests on the snail

3. Raymond Gocken

NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I am hoping someone has an idea of the thickness and size of these parts.... I my end up just guessing and making them from Plexiglas or some other plastic to get the dimensions correct then using that as a pattern for making it out of brass....

4. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These parts tend to be hand made and what fits one movement may not fit others. I have several clocks with movements of that period and they are all quite different.

5. Raymond Gocken

NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I wondered about that as the parts look "hand made" meaning rough castings and filing and such.... oh well one of my next winter projects or when it is too hot outside times this summer....