1780s Scottish long case, date gear washer placement?

aj98

Sep 28, 2021
Country
Hi all.
experienced the occasional non stop chime strike problem with my 1780s Scottish long case

I’ve taken apart a fe coocoos, but never a long clock. knowing what I needed to get to to fix the chime problem,got brave and started disassembling.

Hour and minute hands both pinned on, so no problem removing them. Second hand is compression fit. again, no problem.

The date hand is attached with a screw. No problem getting the screw out, but when i removed the screw, the hand and 2 washers landed in my hand, and a 3rd washer landed on the floor inside the case.
2 washers are steel, 1 is brass.

I have no idea what order they were in. Since the brass washer landed on the floor and inside the case, I’m guessing it was between the gear and its retaining arm. The second between the hand and the clock face, and the 3rd Between the screw and the hand …but I could be wrong.

Seeking advice on the correct order/placement of the washers.

TIA

C77AA264-C257-4FA7-A316-F85224A6C6EC.jpeg 3427CD60-0037-424F-BF2E-5EB177998AD1.jpeg F2005DAD-8EFD-4686-9E31-1DCB0C5652C6.jpeg CB351F9F-DFDE-44C1-A97E-06C76097F0FC.jpeg

Last edited:

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
I'm no expert, but it looks like the date hand is a replacement. Perhaps a previous owner put on a hand that was nearby and put the washers in to make it work. Here's a thread that talks about tall case hands. The pictures at posts 8 and 9 show what I believe the hand should look like. I think reproductions are available somewhere.

Long-case Clock Hand Styles Through Time | NAWCC Forums

aj98

Sep 28, 2021
Country
I'm no expert, but it looks like the date hand is a replacement. Perhaps a previous owner put on a hand that was nearby and put the washers in to make it work. Here's a thread that talks about tall case hands. The pictures at posts 8 and 9 show what I believe the hand should look like. I think reproductions are available somewhere.

Long-case Clock Hand Styles Through Time | NAWCC Forums
Thanks for the insight. You’re right in it does not match the style of the other hands. Patina etc does seem to match, so idk.

Clock has been in the family for generations. As far as I can recall, those are the same hand that have been on it since I was a kid (I’m over 50 now). I do know until I got it earlier this year, it sat in a corner untouched and not running for at least 30 years - anyone who would know for sure about the hands is long gone.

in The fwiw category, here’s a pic showing all the hands installed

040707AD-A69F-4E1E-9718-ED16E5ED8968.jpeg

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
it's a time and strike, not 'chime'... the order of the washers doesn't matter as long as they stay in place and aren't tightened to the point of interfering with the rotation of the gear.

if it were mine, i'd replace both date and second hands to match better the main hands... and i would start by checking the uk clock supply places and/or ebay uk... just because shopping for clock parts is fun! :)

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
With the correct hand there would be no need for washers. They are clearly not original to the clock.

Uhralt

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
Love, love your dial. Any idea who the young lady is and why she's standing next to an anchor on shore? There's a ship in rough waters in the background - perhaps missing its anchor?

aj98

Sep 28, 2021
Country
Love, love your dial. Any idea who the young lady is and why she's standing next to an anchor on shore? There's a ship in rough waters in the background - perhaps missing its anchor?
Thx. :) In the research i did when i got the clock, most suggested female+ship+anchor themes were symbolic for hope (for safe return home).

aj98

Sep 28, 2021
Country
it's a time and strike, not 'chime'... the order of the washers doesn't matter as long as they stay in place and aren't tightened to the point of interfering with the rotation of the gear.

if it were mine, i'd replace both date and second hands to match better the main hands... and i would start by checking the uk clock supply places and/or ebay uk... just because shopping for clock parts is fun! :)
Points taken :)

aj98

Sep 28, 2021
Country
With the correct hand there would be no need for washers. They are clearly not original to the clock.
Thx. Having not taken a long clock apart before, thats something i was not aware of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trikky2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-