• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

1780 dutch stool clock

FredWJensen107

Mar 24, 2019
Country
Great news, With the extending of the hook, I again lengthening the pendulum by another inch, The clock is finally running slow. Which I can adjust by a pendulum bob screw adjustment.
Now I have a problem setting the ringing. I set it up for 3 o'clock, inserted the hands properly. Rang one ring at the 1/2 hour mark then rang 4 at the next go around, then the ringing increased beyond normal amounts. The ring count seems to migrate , now it is sounded 1 ring at the houre rather than at the 1/2 hour mark?

Last edited:

FredWJensen107

Mar 24, 2019
Country
I finally got the time set. Funny thing, when I moved the pendulum hook up 1 1/5 inches. I actually had to move the pendulum bob up and inch or so to get the proper time. If I had move the hookup in the first place I never would have had to lengthen the pendulum. The things you gotta know... As a friend of my in college would say, "I wish I knew what I was doing?
Now I have to tray to set the hourly and 1.2 hour rings? Good luck here. Every time I set and re attach the hands the ring sequence works for several hours but them migrates to more rings. At one point it rand 16 times...Maybe it is set for military time.

Conner'sClocks

Jan 24, 2021
Country
Maybe it is set for military time.
Typically, these types of clocks only strike 12 times at max. 24 hour time shouldnt make a difference.

If its countwheel striking, it could have a small possibility it could be set up to be 24 hours, but I have NEVER seen something like that, so its very unlikely.

same with rack and snail striking. (which is unlikely in this case)

Wouldn’t be surprised if its skipping teeth at this point.

FredWJensen107

Mar 24, 2019
Country
I finally got the time set. Funny thing, when I moved the pendulum hook up 1 1/5 inches. I actually had to move the pendulum bob up and inch or so to get the proper time. If I had move the hookup in the first place I never would have had to lengthen the pendulum. The things you gotta know... As a friend of my in college would say, "I wish I knew what I was doing?
Now I have to tray to set the hourly and 1.2 hour rings? Good luck here. Every time I set and re attach the hands the ring sequence works for several hours but them migrates to more rings. At one point it rand 16 times...Maybe it is set for military time.
finally got the clock keeping perfect time but the striking stopped working.
There is a countwheel and it was working perfectly, with proper stricking on the hour and on the 1/2 hour. But then it stopped stricking. I can get it to strike if i lift the lever from the count wheel. Maybe the cam that lifts the strik lever is defective? it was working. what do you think my next move is?

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
finally got the clock keeping perfect time but the striking stopped working.
There is a countwheel and it was working perfectly, with proper stricking on the hour and on the 1/2 hour. But then it stopped stricking. I can get it to strike if i lift the lever from the count wheel. Maybe the cam that lifts the strik lever is defective? it was working. what do you think my next move is?
It might be sufficient to bent the strike lever just a bit towards the cam so that it will be lifted more.

Uhralt

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
These clocks strike by lifting the "deer's foot" on the lever being lifted by the pin on the minute wheel, allowing it to strike; this lever is then lifted even further by a cam on the striking train, allowing the deer's foot to fall free of the pin, thus allowing to lever to fall and striking to finish when the count wheel allows.

Worth getting Edwardes' book ISBN 0 9523270 1 5 if you can.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Does the count hook lift easily? It might be jamming against a tooth. It needs to be adjusted so it comes down right in the middle of the slot.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Just read this thread, it is a long one.
Although the OP has fixed the time by altering a few things I want to run this past you guys.
In #30 there is a photo of the movement, the brill as it has been called seems to just sit on the rod coming out of the backboard, then the verge looks like it moves the wire that goes through the pendulum, if this is so, if you move the brill toward the backboard this would increase the arc and therefore the swing of the pendulum and slow the clock down?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think you're looking at an animation feature. The lady shown in post #2 probably moves as the pendulum swings.

FredWJensen107

Mar 24, 2019
Country
Finally got the clock working...Keeps perfect time and , sounds on the hour and half hour perfectly.
Realized that these old clocks have to be keep relativey, sloppy..lose that is otherwise they will bind up.
Even the minute hand screw should not be tightened all the way down other wise the movement will bind up.
As my expert Danish watchmaker would say.....Keep it sloppy.....
Thanks for all your help..
I think Fred w Jensen was helping me from Heaven to get this thing running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-