14k Swiss Pocket Watch

D4NNYP

Apr 5, 2011
Hi..

First time poster, so I feel a bit cheeky in asking for help.

I work in a jewellers but have little knowledge on watches, and have been asked to find information on a pocket watch we have acquired with regards to selling.

What I have found out for myself is that it has a Swiss 14k mark (squirrel) and a copper dust cover (cuivre)..

There are no makers marks on the movement or case that i can see, so haven't been able to get far...

I'm including photographs, any further information... Date, possible maker etc... would be greatly appreciated..

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

jfl

NAWCC Member
May 1, 2006
The basics are ladies, 8j cylinder movement from ~ 1880 to 1900. The movement's center bar resembles a Vacheron, however, the winding portion does not. I am sure that others will narrow your search down further. JFL

rrwatch

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2000
Pooler, GA USA
www.antiquewatchmaker.com
Country
Region
I believe that your watch contains 10 jewels;
4 on the balance pivots (two hole jewels and two cap jewels)
2 on the escape wheel pivots
2 on the fourth wheel pivots
2 on the third wheel pivots

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Your watch is a nice mass produced piece from around 1900. The movement is likely the product of Fontainemelon Freres (FHF), although several compaines produced similar movements.

Cylinder escapements were produced for a long time, but fell out of favor after the early 1900s as the mass production of more accurate and more easily maintained lever escapements became common. Cylinders are durable and cab be fairly accurate, but today they are difficult and expensive to have repaired. If yours is working, a cleaning by a qualified watchmaker may be in order, but if it is damaged or needs parts, then repair may be problematic.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
The watch is definitely not Vacheron and Constantin. It is of lower middle quality and is primarily a peice of jewelry and was nver intended to be high precision time keeper.

One sign of better than average quality is three small dots near thebalance wheel on teh lower plate. Better makers put them there to help in adusting the watch.

If you want to find these, look straight down on the movement. The balance may have a small bit on it to keep it from over swinging. This bit should pass over the three dots.

Lots of these were made so a definite identification of its maker is not feasible but A. Schild made some movemenst that look a lot like this in this size as late as the 1930's.

Sell it as jewelry rather than as a watch. These are dififcult to service, since those who could do it easily and quickly are long gone.

Roland Ranfft

Feb 10, 2011
Wildenrath, Germany
www.ranfft.de
Country
Region
Hi D4NNYP,

I agree with afore mentioned statemants about kind and age of the watch;
so just some additional remarks:

This is a typical example for a gift demonstrating high regard for a wife
or girlfriend in the late 19th century: Work was effordable, therefore an
elaborated decoration of the dial an the case. Gold was less effordable,
therefore solid gold, but no solid thickness, and a strong inner metal cap
to protect the thin case against dings and dents. The precise time for
ladies wasn't regarded as necessity, therefore a pedestrian movement,
and in return other qualities were enhanced.

All these special features were by far no good base for extensive usage,
and although these waches were carefully treated as jewelry for special
occasions, after more than 100 years not many are in such pristine shape,
and therefore highly collectable.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

D4NNYP

Apr 5, 2011
Wow.. Thank you all for your help...

The watch is working which it seems is a big plus, also I believe it has the 3 dots 'Dr Jon' mentioned...

It makes sense that this was also more jewellery than watch as detail of engraving on the case and the enamel dial are stunning in their own right..

Thanks again for all the help, you have given me a lot to go on..

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iandb
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions