14k gruen curvex with a 10k jb champion?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Gsvalentin, Mar 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gsvalentin

Gsvalentin Registered User

Mar 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello im new to watch collecting and i recently bought a non running 14k curvex. The bracelet is a expandable jb champion that says stainless backs. The tops have small pieces of crocodile set in what tested as 10k, not filled. Is this the original bracelet or was it added later? Ive searched google for anything about the jb champion 10k tops and only found stuff about filled. Also i ran the movement by a compass and it is magnetic. Could demagnetizing actually get this watch running without having to disassemble it?

20200301_192846.jpg 20200301_192921.jpg

2. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the insanity we lovingly call "watch collecting"....

I doubt that anything shy of a good COA will solve your problem, but you could try de-magnetizing it first.

3. Gsvalentin

Mar 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
  4. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You betcha:)

5. Barney Green

Barney Green Registered User

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have the original Gruen band catalog and checked if Gruen had ever factory equipped this band with one of their watches. They did not.
    So with 98% certainty the watch must have been equipped with this band later.
    The watch looks like a model from the years1945 to 1948, you may check if the band has a patent number (they often refer to one). If the patent was issued later, you can get to 100%...

Barney

6. Gsvalentin

Mar 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Wow thank you. I guess i need to buy some books.

7. Barney Green

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Why do you think you need to buy some books? There aren't many about Gruen, I tmeanwhile I bought almost all available ones (and helped writing the latest). For me it was worth investing the money, because I own a huge number of Gruens. But if you own only a handful, you may not want to invest in the whole library.
    If you think to need to buy a book for finding your watch I can tell you that only one will tell you the name of the watch, look out for this book: "Gruen The 1940's A Decade of Watches from the Daily News"; Author: Mike Barnett.
    Just in case I am correct in identifying the model from the single shot which isn't always easy and correct. But I am 90% certain. If I am right, your watch once had an alligator leather strap.

Barney

8. Gsvalentin

Mar 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yeah well i need all the knowledge i can get! I come across watches everyday, and have no idea what im looking at most times. Its becoming an obsession. I really need to learn how to fix them. I know it takes years of schooling and many more years of experience. Maybe YouTube will help. Thanks for the info sir.

9. Barney Green

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see, you are more looking for general books on watch repair. That makes perfect sense.
    I just wanted to warn you that you would not learn much more about this particular watch from books than you could learn here...
    It is a pain in the lower back area when trying to ID Gruens the company / brand has been around for long time and meanwhile there might be 20k models, mainly undocumented. Even if you concentrate in the "real Gruens" untl 1958 you will end up with several thousand different models and if you extend to 1978 the number will be well beyond 10k.