• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Borg 12V Borg Car Clock Repair

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I've partially disassembled this clock, cleaned and oiled, but it is the same as when I started. If I help the balance wheel a little I get about 3 or 4 ticks out of it, no more. It wasn't very dirty when I first looked at it, and I see no reason why it should not run.
Now, I'm looking for ideas or someone who repairs these that I can send it to.
Ford car clock 6.jpg Ford car clock 5.jpg Ford car clock 4.jpg

mxfrank

Oct 27, 2011
I've partially disassembled this clock, cleaned and oiled, but it is the same as when I started. If I help the balance wheel a little I get about 3 or 4 ticks out of it, no more. It wasn't very dirty when I first looked at it, and I see no reason why it should not run.
Now, I'm looking for ideas or someone who repairs these that I can send it to.
View attachment 470646 View attachment 470647 View attachment 470648
Borg clocks are self winding. Usually, there's a contact attached to one side of the mainspring. When the spring winds down, it makes contact with an arm, which energizes a coil. The coil pulls down on the arm, pushing the spring back to the wound position. The problem is likely on the electrical side of the movement.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Borg clocks are self winding. Usually, there's a contact attached to one side of the mainspring. When the spring winds down, it makes contact with an arm, which energizes a coil. The coil pulls down on the arm, pushing the spring back to the wound position. The problem is likely on the electrical side of the movement.
Thanks, You are correct.
I sent this clock off for repair and was advised that it had a bad coil. The coil was replaced, repaired, and returned. And now working like new again!

What baffled me was I understand how the clock winds, but even after winding manually, (by pulling down the arm) I couldn't get the clock to run. Not sure what the answer was to that question.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accuraterubber
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit