Borg 12V Borg Car Clock Repair

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Dave T, Apr 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've partially disassembled this clock, cleaned and oiled, but it is the same as when I started. If I help the balance wheel a little I get about 3 or 4 ticks out of it, no more. It wasn't very dirty when I first looked at it, and I see no reason why it should not run.
    Now, I'm looking for ideas or someone who repairs these that I can send it to.
    Ford car clock 6.jpg Ford car clock 5.jpg Ford car clock 4.jpg

2. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    Borg clocks are self winding. Usually, there's a contact attached to one side of the mainspring. When the spring winds down, it makes contact with an arm, which energizes a coil. The coil pulls down on the arm, pushing the spring back to the wound position. The problem is likely on the electrical side of the movement.

3. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, You are correct.
    I sent this clock off for repair and was advised that it had a bad coil. The coil was replaced, repaired, and returned. And now working like new again!

What baffled me was I understand how the clock winds, but even after winding manually, (by pulling down the arm) I couldn't get the clock to run. Not sure what the answer was to that question.