10k Solid Gold or Gold Filled???

jrog100

Nov 20, 2011
I picked up this watch the other day. It's been tested with acid and I was told it was xr-ray tested as well. What do you all think. IS this 10K or simply gold filled?
E9B6032F-5320-48D6-9068-1B7BE6091CA0.jpeg

jrog100

Nov 20, 2011
Here's an example of the case trade mark:
Trademark-FahysWatchCaseCo-12.jpg

There's a TON of conflicting information on the internet. Most say it's gold filled because Fahy's never made a solid gold case. I found that to be untrue. I've also found that Fahy's gold filled cases were always marked with a year warranty. When marked 10K or 14K Montauk, I have a lot of questions.

Does anyone have any catalogue references from Fahy's on their 10K and 14K Motauk hallmarked line of watch cases?

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Gold Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
I picked up this watch the other day. It's been tested with acid and I was told it was xr-ray tested as well. What do you all think. IS this 10K or simply gold filled?
View attachment 729086
I wish that the watch case makers category was listed in the stickies along with American watch makers category. These are full of links to company literature (catalog sheets & ads) describing their products.

While they're at it, the jobbers Catalogs and Railroad watches categories are also other useful links.

Many people don't know that these exist much less how to find them.

Last edited:

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Montauk was part of Fahys gold-filled line of cases. Early on they were guaranteed for 15 years but later (by 1900) for 20 years. For early catalog references you might check the links that Kent provided.

jrog100

Nov 20, 2011
Montauk was part of Fahys gold-filled line of cases. Early on they were guaranteed for 15 years but later (by 1900) for 20 years. For early catalog references you might check the links that Kent provided.
You're right. the 10K and 14K montauk are in fact gold filled. I was able to find an old department store catalogue that actually lists these models and many other as GOLD FILLED (even through the cases say 10K and 14K).

Not sure if this is a rule violation but here's a link(s) to the google book with some valuable pocketwatch case information:

Illustrated Catalogue: "Busiest House in America." - Issue 20 - Page 390books.google.com › books

Montgomery Ward Catalogue with more great watch case references: Montgomery Ward Catalogue of 1895

Last edited:

Nathan Moore

NAWCC Business
Dec 29, 2011
Country
I've also found that Fahy's gold filled cases were always marked with a year warranty.
The Fahys Watch Case Company did not mark year guarantees on cases prior to c.1897. We start seeing the year guarantees on the Montauk grade cases around 1897 during the era when the company produced the 14K variant for about a year (these cases are typically seen with "Warranted 15 Years - Fahys 14K - Montauk" markings).

This is a confusing period because Fahys had discontinued the "Monarch" 14K/20YR grade and aimed to bridge the product line by upgrading the Montauk from 10K to 14K. However, industry trends were shifting, and the 14K Montauks were only offered until the company restructured the product line and increased their year guarantees in February 1898. At that time, the gold content was dropped back down to 10K and the guarantee was increased to 20 Years, matching other companies. This is when we begin seeing the "20 Years" mark on Montauk cases. Later, the year guarantee was removed, resulting in "Montauk Quality" markings.

Reactions: grtnev and jrog100

jrog100

Nov 20, 2011
The Fahys Watch Case Company did not mark year guarantees on cases prior to c.1897. We start seeing the year guarantees on the Montauk grade cases around 1897 during the era when the company produced the 14K variant for about a year (these cases are typically seen with "Warranted 15 Years - Fahys 14K - Montauk" markings).

This is a confusing period because Fahys had discontinued the "Monarch" 14K/20YR grade and aimed to bridge the product line by upgrading the Montauk from 10K to 14K. However, industry trends were shifting, and the 14K Montauks were only offered until the company restructured the product line and increased their year guarantees in February 1898. At that time, the gold content was dropped back down to 10K and the guarantee was increased to 20 Years, matching other companies. This is when we begin seeing the "20 Years" mark on Montauk cases. Later, the year guarantee was removed, resulting in "Montauk Quality" markings.
Absolutley true. good info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gary0003
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent