100-Day "New Master" from Nisshin Clock, Tokyo

SanJoseMichael

Dec 5, 2006
I did know there were 100-day clocks from a John Hubby posting early on, but I was not able to find more info... and then I found this one... NOT a high quality item... but it does have a snazzy winder!! As this is not in my 5th (or is it 6th?) Horolovar book, and my micrometer has gone missing, anyone hazard a guess as to spring size and a guess at pendulum weight? (Note the lack of pendulum cup, I guess it sorta falls in the hole??)

Thanks!

Attachments

Paul Arsenault

NAWCC Member
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
Country
Region
Re: 100-Day

SanJoseMichael: I believe this is plate #1469E. The spring listed is .0028, 3 or 4 ball pendulum. Hope this helps. Info from 10th edidion. Paul

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

Wow, that fork is going to need some attention! I'd love to see a close-up of the verge. Is it a solid one piece design? The book says it's a pin pallet ??

Andy Krietzer

Feb 21, 2001
Country
Region

The pendulum cup is a heavy cast piece that just slips in the hole in the base (and falls out easily when the clock is turned over). They usually have a 3 ball pendulum. I have one but don't have a digital camera to show pictures of it.

Andy

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Good eyes, Bill. Looks like the gear is pulling off the barrel. Careful letting it down:eek:

Joe Collins

Jan 3, 2004
Country
Region

I don't think there is a problem with the spring barrel. I think it is not a barrel but a cup that doesn't turn. Looks a lot like the spring cups on a Hermle T/S that I have.

Joe

SanJoseMichael

Dec 5, 2006

Shutterbug, you are ever challenging my close-up photography skills! Okay, here you go, everthing you ever wanted to see in a pin-pallet but were afraid to ask for. And, yes, whatever is going on with the spring means heavy gloves and safety glasses for the letdown!

SJM

Attachments

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region

SJM, great pics. First thing I noticed is that the exit pin on the pin pallet anchor is bent. It should be perfectly perpendicular to the escape wheel. When you do the service on your clock, this pin "can" be bent back to the correct position, but you will need to be very careful as it is hardened and can easily break. Use wide blade smooth jaw pliers to make the repair.

John Hubby
>>>>

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

I see the same thing. It's important to get the pins straight, and that may very well be your whole problem :) It doesn't look like you have the ability to adjust the position of the pallets, so the pins have to be right on.

Dwight

Mar 15, 2009
Re: 100-Day "New Master" from Nisshin Clock, Tokyo

Hi,
I am in South New Jersey. I have a New Master 100 day clock that needs repair. Can anyone suggest a repair facility. Tried to post a picture unsuccessfully. Can send in an email if anyone needs to see the actual clock.

Thanks,
Dwight

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region

To post an image it must be less than 800 megapixels in the lower dimension. I am from the UK, but I am sure there are New Jersey subcribers out there who can help

Dwight

Mar 15, 2009

Thanks Lesbradley,
No one else has responded. I will try elsewhere. MVC-107S.JPG

lesaandjeff

Mar 23, 2013

I have a guestion. I bought what looks to be the same clock. Mine has N156 on it. I really need a short tutorial. How to wind, level,etc.

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region

Because the manufacturer of these clocks used synthetic oil and it's an enclosed movement, you may not have to do anything special as far as cleaning and oiling to get it running.
Make sure it's on a firm surface, first (One that doesn't make the pendulum sway back and forth when someone walks by.)
Screw all the adjusting feet all the way in and set the clock where it'll be going and then loosen up to 3 of the feet to get the pendulum to hang in the center of the cup in the base that restrains it.
Give the pendulum a 180 degree turn and see if it takes off. Setting the time is just a matter of manually moving the minute hand till the correct time is obtained.
If it doesn't run, look to see that the escape wheel is turning when you attempt to start the clock. If it clicks much more easily in one direction than the other you'll need to set the beat. Come back and tell us more about what happened and we'll go from there.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

It's best to wind twice a year. The pendulum needs to be in the center of the lower cup. Level it that way and it will be right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skaizun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller