1 of 100 Illinois Possibly my best pick ever! Bunn Special Bright Spot!

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by kevinstang, Sep 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kevinstang

kevinstang Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Upstate NY- way up north
    Country Flag:
    Was browsing ebay about 2 weeks ago and saw this just listed 21j Bunn Special and noticed the early serial number and different pattern finish, had a low buy it now due to the seller having snapped off the winding stem when opening the watch to take pictures (was in a Philly 20 year gold filled flip open- I placed in an sligthly later case for photos and to make sure it worked ok- gotta hunt down a replacement stem). My hunch was right I believe, and the Bunn Special 16s book by Michael Chamelin definately paid for itself here! I confirmed the serial #2576898 was in a run of only 100 bright spotted Bunns that had the "double roller" spelled out completely under the balance! (#2576101 to 2576900) He lists only a very few known serial numbers at the time of the books publication for survivors. (hope its ok to share this info?) The Montgomery dial also looks to be correct and original for the watch as well (a few hairlines but not bad for over 100 years old). Will have to look for the correct stem to replace and get it back into its original case somewhere down the road (although I hate flip outs). Watch is running great and keeping very good time, but sometime in near future will give it a cleaning and oiling. Just thought I'd share!

ealrybunn1.jpg ealrybunn2.jpg ealrybunn3.jpg ealrybunn4.jpg

2. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I finally landed in the Bunn family after 20 years with a key wind 15J.

Congrats on your find Kevin!

Keith R...

100_2368 (800x600).jpg

kevinstang likes this.
  3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Very nice find, and it looks very clean.
    I also like that dial. Enjoy it.

Rob

4. kevin h

kevin h Registered User

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    cambridge md
    Country Flag:
    Nice one , I prefer the montgomery dial also

kevinstang likes this.
  5. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Congrats and great find Kevin!

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a “new” example of this variant show up ... going from memory I can’t think of any I’ve seen in the last few years.

kevinstang likes this.
  6. 179

179 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Kevin let me add my congratulations on this nice watch. Looking at the photos all looks good except for the balance cap jewel setting. On my screen it appears to be composition not gold. It is easier to determine this in hand. I love the dial with the correct signature, a cleaning should make the hairlines less noticeable.

7. kevinstang

kevinstang Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Upstate NY- way up north
    Country Flag:
    Very good eye, I do believe you are right about that cap jewel setting- looks to be more brassy, have to keep my eye out for a replacement when cleaning time comes!

8. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing your find. These are 'special'...

I've an update here from Mike Chamelin, who sometimes simply cannot sign on to the MB...
    copied from email to me.... it does contain some updated info from 'the book' (about 10-14 copies left with Mike)

Hey..........thanks for sending.......this is a new serial number we hadn’t seen before....and can now add it to the second variant, Bright Spot 21j. data base, as of course it fits perfectly in the known and expected 100 production range listed in the book..... however, with a couple new numbers found over the last 5 years, we know , now that there are slightly more than 100 of these made as since the book was published in 2013, there has been 1 second variant Bright Spot that was found in an earlier 1st variant Bright Spot range ....and another second variant was seen at Valpo by yours truly, ( when you and I went up) in 2016 when some guy brought one up to sell to Fred E. that was just like this one ....yet the most interesting thing on that one that really perplexed me was that this said watch was from what should have been the second run of 21j fishscale Bunn Specials and I recorded the serial number and it was carefully verified by both Fred E and I , as in fact, a second variant 21j bright spot.........so while we can say “exactly” how many 2nd variant Bright Spots were made ...the current “estimate” would now change to be 120 approx. ..........research goes on and we never will see it all as Fred A Hansen once said to me......but we keep plugging along learning where and when we can......

viclip and kevinstang like this.
  9. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Excellent pickup and the dial seems original and is my favorite dial from the time. These dials were from the late Sangamo and early16s Bunn era.

Keith R... and kevinstang like this.
  10. camtwo69

camtwo69 Registered User

Apr 15, 2017
    Male
    Sales
    Hampton Va
    Country Flag:
    Hello Terry I want to purchase a book from Mike , I have tried E-Mail with no luck . Could you get to contact me , thank you .

kevinstang likes this.
  11. terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    PM inbound to you.....

12. ArcticCollector

ArcticCollector Registered User

Nov 18, 2017
    Male
    Petrochemical Operations
    Alaska
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great find man, I think I saw this one while surfing and I missed it. Glad it went to someone who will take good care of her.

13. piedmontg

piedmontg Registered User

Jun 14, 2009
    Terry
    Is it possible you could get me connected for Mike's book

Thanks

Bob

14. terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male