Japanese $ “Y” clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Salsagev, Jun 28, 2020 at 1:44 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a y clock. Some say it’s Japanese. Can I have some info on it? Thanks.

A50192AB-CB86-48AB-B605-48FA036B571B.jpeg 714D32ED-376D-41D9-A43E-6950991A7FEC.jpeg 940DE39D-257C-4A33-A967-2362F7E21181.jpeg 93EEB8BC-AAF0-4986-8B00-B84521407541.jpeg DC433B5F-B111-479A-ACF1-8615AB970BFF.jpeg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    This is very likely Japanese, but please remove the movement and post a pic of the back plate which may have the maker's name or logo.

You have called this a 'Y' clock. Why is that? Did you find the mark on it somewhere - there are a number of Japanese makers who had the letter 'Y' in their logo.

JTD

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    My understanding Japanese for the Chinese and Japanese market, as well as the rest of Asia. Pre WWII. Mimics an American model. My recollection is having seen these with labels with both Chinese and Japanese characters.

You do not need to remove the movement. It will also resemble an American model.

Some advice, a question and a request.

You need to take better pictures at least showing full frontal views, then appropriate detail shots. Your pictures are taken at lots of weird angles, too.

At your supposed young age, how are you financing all of these purchases? Just curious. Your parents must be quite indulgent and patient?

Maybe post 1 or 2 at a time rather than inundating us? And yes, you've been taking advantage of the Forum. Maybe ask your parents to pay for an online only NAWCC membership (I believe $40 and you can search the Bulletin and find some of the info you seek). If not, maybe consider asking them to make a donation to the Forum to help defray some of its operating expenses?

RM

Kevin W. likes this.
  4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I agree with RM's observations about the pictures. Better pictures of both case and movements (front and back) would allow us to help you better.

Don't feel that you are taking advantage of us. I understand you are here to learn, and one way to do so is to take advantage of the knowledge among the members of these forums. However, RM's suggestion that you post one or two at a time is good. That way, discussion of those items can be completed before we start to consider others. Your enthusiasm is admirable, but it should be tempered with patience.

And, of course, where you get the funds for your purchases is none of our business. Don't feel obliged to explain. While we would welcome you as a member, do that in your own good time and only if your are so inclined.

JTD likes this.
  5. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In the first photo, it’s near the top of the dial.
    I knew this was going to be mentioned.
    I work at my step dads bike shop and do stuff around there but I sell my clocks too for some. Most of the clocks I buy are from 3rd party so not like auction expensive.
    Thanks for the advice. My plan was actually to get the information I need for a different clock subject and stop when I have it. But i get it can be better overwhelming so sorry about that.

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, I see it now, slightly. It is pictured at a slant and the hands are in the way. This is the sort of thing I meant when I said we need clear, sharp photos of things you want to enquire about.

Well, as far as I can see it looks to me as if the logo has been repainted, or else a lot of it has worn away. There were a number of Japanese makers which had a logo with Y in it ,although none are quite like yours but I can't see it well. It is possibly the mark of Yoshimura.

Can yo post a better pic?

JTD

7. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As JTD stated, Yoshimura is the most similar to your logo, but not quite a match.

A better pic will allow us to confirm or correct.

The advice about not inundating us with so many clocks at once is good advice, and it also shows that people want to help you!

On the other hand, I find your enthusiasm for clocks quite refreshing! Keep the questions coming. We can handle them!

Regards.

8. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    salsagrev -

multiple thoughts, in no particular order:

- appreciate your passion for clocks.... that's why we're all here.

- i think people are feeling a little overwhelmed at the number of clocks you've posted simultaneously. typically, someone gets (or needs to repair) a clock and posts a thread about it. people respond for a bit, rinse and repeat. i have found you (generic) get better results if you create one thread per clock, to keep discussions focused and on point

- we have only recently opened up discussions of value. previously, those were limited to the 'what's it worth?' forum. discussing what clocks are worth has not been a prime focus... rather, people look to replace or repair missing parts, resolve issues, etc. you're doing nothing wrong... it's just taking time for people to adjust to the new paradigm.

- when i'm assessing what a clock is worth to me, i factor in running condition as well as cosmetic. mechanical clocks need to be serviced every 5-10 years... assuming they've been serviced correctly. if you don't know when a clock was last serviced, it needs it. speaking of your 'y' clock in particular, i have a similar clock but a wall version. someone gave it to me. i just put in new mainsprings that cost me $30. i spent a couple of hours going through it... i ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner. i polished pivots and bushed a couple of pivot holes. it is in sparkly clean as-new-like-as-possible condition... and i would be amazed if i could get $50 for it.

- i would imagine that you're happy to tell people who come into your step-dad's bike shop what's involved in replacing an inner tube. i would also imagine that the 50th or so time you explained it you might think, "hmm.... what if we put up a how-to on the website that addresses this?" so we don't have to explain it over and over again. i would further imagine that when you found yourself still having to explain it because people didn't bother reading the how-to, you'd be wondering why?!?! :cool:

what i'm saying is this: the value of each of my clocks for me is a combination of aesthetics, the pleasure of working on them and bringing them up to snuff, and then enjoying them over time. your agenda is not yet clear to people, which may explain some of the reactions you're getting.

if your goal is to simply buy and sell, that's ok... but there's less motivation in that for people to help you than, for example, helping you learn how to service them to make them as good as they can be. if that's of interest to you, there are lots of people here who will be more than happy to assist in helping you acquire the knowledge and tools required, and lots of how-to threads already in the 'clock repair' forum (that's basically how i learned).

although they're hard to find, having a clock mentor can be a huge help. those kinds of relationships, though, have to be built over time.

again, random thoughts... hope they help!

bruce

p.s.: check out my clock collection at bruce's CLOCKS ... there are collectors with much nicer clocks than mine, but you can see an at-a-glance collection of different kinds of clocks you might want to be on the lookout for.

PatH and rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 like this.
  9. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, the people I found were more concerned about me stealing.
    It’s just hard for me because I have to dig through lots of opinions and I always come across threads that interest me but no reply’s at all. The threads are not “pure” information. Then there’s things that people find “false” or incorrect. So I don’t really know what’s right or wrong.
    I have a lot of clocks right now. Some clocks I don’t enjoy as much. I know when I get bored of one clock, I fix it and let it go.

10. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    no one said the info presented is anything more than individual opinions... but you quickly learn who you like and can trust, and figure out your own path.

when you say 'fix it'.... do you fully disassemble movements? run components through an ultrasonic? polish pivots? re-bush pivot holes? straighten escape wheel teeth? have a spring winder?

what tools and set up do you have? what is your overall process?

Salsagev and Kevin W. like this.
  11. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes I disassemble and clean. I don’t have any tools.

12. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Disassemble reassemble touch up case and use the clock.

13. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    clean how? i degrease everything first and then wash in warm water and blow dry immediately. i then use 2000 grit sandpaper to polish pivots, and then 4000. i wipe down all parts with alcohol. i make sure all pivots and arbors are straight. i polish pallets with the same 2000/4000 combo. i use horolube oil.

can you pls get more specific about your cleaning process?

14. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    People concerned about you stealing? Really? You must be pretty intimidating?

First, let me just say I have no desire to quash you enthusiasm. Redirect, mold, advise, yes. Sorry, I'm not a cheerleader like some, but I will encourage. And it all comes free, cheap and can be accepted or rejected. No skin off my nose.

This is why I believe you need to ultimately join the NAWCC and find a local chapter. You can attend chapter meetings, bringing a clock or 2 you're seeking help with and also to bring some stuff sell to so as to help finance your collecting. You might also find stuff to buy. There may be workshops conducted at those meetings. Once folks get to know you, they might be less concerned about you stealing and more interested in mentoring? That would be quite valuable and a good adjunct to your use of the MB.

You indicate that there are clocks you "don't enjoy as much" which indicates to me you may be (hopefully) starting to develop some areas of interest and ultimately of concentration? So, I will repeat advice I have given previously. Step back and consider what your interests are. To help with that, might even wish to get your hands on some standard reference books (those old fashioned analog devices for reading information which too few Forum participants use). What might be helpful is if respondents to your multiple threads would also step back and suggest just A FEW basic reference books covering American and European clocks and WHY they might be worthwhile for you to look at. Then check out your local library? You decide to acquire them? eBay and Amazon? If I say so myself, I have a pretty good library with quite a few volumes bought reasonably on line. Bringing up membership yet again. If you were to join the NAWCC, you would have electronic access to the Bulletin which represents > 3/4 of a century of horological knowledge much written by "the giants".

Just my thoughts.

RM

PS: 11 threads currently. Take a break.

15. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use pure las totally awesome to scrub down. I then warm up the us cleaner then dump the gears and such in. After, I give it a final scrub and rinse. I give the springs a bath in kerosene for a while and then put in in the us cleaner. I then use the plates as the mainspring winder and when I get them to a decent size, I restrain them with wire. I then reassemble and use the Horace whitelock oil kit to re oil. And for the case I reglue anything that needs to be and polish up with wood polish.
    Just because I asked them about a clock they had. Then they warned his friends about it.
    Could you please clarify what you mean by this?

16. Salsagev

Salsagev Registered User

Feb 6, 2020
    Male
    Student
    Madison
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a picture of the movement. The logo is nothing more than a y in a circle.

5CF178F3-67A9-45B3-BD3E-3C7B655383FC.jpeg 03820A8F-5E80-405A-9666-235349E3D006.jpeg A6A3FCD6-0582-4270-8370-7B00966DC310.png