“The Keystone” Journal Cover Art?

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Brad Maisto, Apr 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    41A063C9-106C-465C-A350-0C4E1EC5A8FB.jpeg
    I posted this already in the pocketwatch forum! This is the cover art (or what I was able to salvage from a water-damaged issue) that you don’t see anymore. This is from the February 1910 issue. Does anyone know if the NAWCC library has old issues of this publication? I may have asked this before, so excuse me for re-asking. I may have a few others to post, but also wonder if anyone else has these saved in their horological miscellaneous?
    Thanks, Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary

2. Brad Maisto

NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    85C54A18-009B-4833-B5FE-6512243911EE.jpeg 4237E047-BE67-4860-81DD-7D6540FF428D.jpeg
    I have parts of 8 “The Keystone Journal. This is the front and back of the cover for a November 1905 issue, the “Holiday Nvmber “. Anyone ever seen of these Elgin calendars?
    Brad Maisto

3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Brad - thanks for sharing the wonderful art! I can see that the cover illustrations are signed, but can't make out the signatures. Can you tell what the signatures are? These are from the Golden Age of illustration when many of the horological ads were created by well-known artists, as shown in your ad for the Elgin calendar with artwork by Maud Humphrey. Elgin also has the "Through the ages with Father Time" series of ads, booklets, poster stamps, etc. with artwork by Hugh Rankin and Harold (or H.S.) DeLay. James Montgomery Flagg, best known for his Uncle Sam I want your for the U.S. Army imagery, artwork was used in an Elgin series of ads in the 1920s. This trend continued, not only for Elgin, but for Hamilton and others, with ads created by very talented artists. Howard watch ads have art work by F.X. Leyendecker. Some of the Swiss watch industry ads are by Norman Rockwell. I have found it quite interesting to find the ads with signed art, then learn more about the artists/illustrators and the advertising trends that provided work for them.

I believe that the NAWCC Library and Research Center might have a copy of the Elgin calendar. I've seen an illustrated calendar in some of the ephemeral materials, but can't remember what company it was for.

Digital copies of The Keystone can be viewed from the Library and Research tab on the NAWCC website. Click Resources on the left side of the screen, then scroll down the Resources page to the resources listed under Member Access. They are very large files, so be patient if you try to access.

Brad Maisto likes this.
  4. Brad Maisto

NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    PatH,
    To answer your question concerning the artists, the Nov. 1905 issue does have an artist signature, but no clue what it is, here is that part of the illustration enlarged:

9D6C5436-3019-405C-89B8-1A86E5696FAF.jpeg
    The first post cover picture just has a copyright by B. Thorpe Publisher, 19th & Brown Sts PHILA.

As I was looking through the September 1903 issue, I found an intriguing article titled “Physician-in-Chief for Uncle Sam’s Clocks” found on page 1320h. The “Doctor” is a Edward S. Fleming and his office is “In a small, subterranean apartment or cuddly hole in the extreme southeast corner of the Treasury Building may be found, . . .” and this story takes up an entire page with his picture and a clock that is used to maintain all of the clocks in the government buildings in Washington, DC! Very interesting story or article on this man and what a master clock-maker did back in the day!
    Brad Maisto

PatH likes this.
  5. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Could the artist be:
    Jean Leon Gerome Ferris (1863 - 1930)

PatH and Brad Maisto like this.
  6. Brad Maisto

NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One last cover to show, and it has seen better days! Also the index page from this July 1908 issue and the back cover art, even though it is not horological, I still think it is interesting?

55329426-D6FA-44EE-A87B-E7FA8A16315D.jpeg 51F21408-24F3-4AB5-8193-FE06CB63BCA8.jpeg 237EC1CC-EE36-4A46-BF8D-6680CCA0F17B.jpeg

The “News Letters” sections are fun to look at also, if you live in or around these “metropolitan or Vicinity” areas of our country!
    Enjoy, Brad Maisto

PatH likes this.
  7. Brad Maisto

NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    DickC, that very well could be !