Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 635 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Bonheur Pocket Watch Information

Hello, just received two pocket watches from my dad. A Bonheur pocket watch with a nice non cracked dial, not sure if its porcelain or enamel. Can't find much info about Bonheur.

Also a Hamilton Watch Co timepiece with a bird engraving on back. I know its a US made watch but if you have some info on it I wouldn't mind it.

I haven't opened them for the serial number, don't have proper tools and wouldn't want to damage them.
    Imgur album link: http://imgur.com/a/tmuxY/all

Thanks for the Help!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nqWHEzIs.jpg  

Default Re: Bonheur Pocket Watch Information (RE: testermuse)

Hi!

The 'Bonheur' mark on your dial was registered by Ernest Degoumois in St-Imier, Switzerland, in November, 1907.

Found a similar looking watch at a completed auction here. From the front it reminds me of an 8-day watch, like those made by Hebdomas, but from the back, not so much.

I would suggest posting about the Hamilton in a separate thread on the American forum, but you absolutely need to unscrew the back and take some clear photos and write the serial number down to find out more info about it.

Image courtesy of Mikrolisk:

Last edited by Squite; 03-03-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Without a serial number at least off the movement of the Hamilton nothing much can be said about it.
    The other watch i have no knowledge of, but it looks like a Hebdomas watch.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Bonheur Pocket Watch Information (RE: Kevin W.)

Can't find much about Bonheur, apparently Ernest Degoumois interned at Longines for a few years and then created the "la Montre Bonheur" seems he didn't have much success since you can't find much info about the company/watches. Still a neat looking watch though.
    Last edited by testermuse; 03-03-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Please take my advice, and start a new thread about the Hamilton on the American pocket watch side. It has no business being here, and is confusing to be talking about multiple watches in the same thread. I'm not going to comment on it here.

Default Re: Bonheur Pocket Watch Information (RE: Squite)

OK will do that thanks, Ill remove the photo of the Hamilton and such. If people still have info about the Bonheur, Ill be happy to hear it.

Smile Re: Bonheur Pocket Watch Information (RE: testermuse)

Quote Originally Posted by testermuse View Post
    Hello, just received two pocket watches from my dad. ...
    Hi testermuse:

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watches Message Board!

Having gathered and printed out information about a family watch (once we can provide it), it is a wise idea to write out as much as you know about the family member to whom the watch originally belonged - or as far back as you can go, including (and clearly identifying) what you can guess. Then, add the names and relationships of the family members who passed it down to the current holder. Make up a booklet with this and all of the watch information and try to keep it with the watch. You might even include a CD or, better yet, a USB thumb drive with copies of the pictures or information, in addition to the printouts. Even though they may not be readable 100 years from now, some more recent descendent may transfer the files to the then current format and media. This way, the watch has real family heritage instead of it just being an old family watch, the identity and relationship of the original owner having been lost in the distant past.

... I haven't opened them for the serial number, don't have proper tools and wouldn't want to damage them. ...
    In trying to open the watch (at least the Hamilton), you might find the information in the Encyclopedia article entitled "How To Open A Pocket Watch Case" useful.

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia