Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 607 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Bushings, Broaches, Cutters, and Reamers

I have a complete Bergeon Bushing tool setup as well as a large assortment of Bergeon brass bushings. What is confusing to me is 1) what are "stub" sizes, 2) what do the numbers on the Bergeon cutters and reamers stand for, and 3) what is the difference between a reamer and a cutter. I've been gleaning information from all of the parts suppliers, from the books I own, and anything else I can find, but none of them distinguishes between a cutter and a reamer.

I understand the mechanics and process of rebushing. I'd like to know what all of the numbers mean. Thx

Default Re: Bushings, Broaches, Cutters, and Reamers (RE: Marty Matisoff)

The numbers on the reamers are the sizes of the holes. E.g. 1.97 means it will make a hole 1.97mm diameter and is for a bushing 2.0mm OD. By cutters I assume you mean the tools to make the bushing flush with the plate

Default Re: Bushings, Broaches, Cutters, and Reamers (RE: MARK A. BUTTERWORTH)

Yep. Reamers cut holes. Cutters cut bushings (reduce height). Stub sizes - no clue. To use the machine, you insert a center locator (a pointed cone). Bring it down onto the worn hole with some downward force and it will center on the original center of the hole. Hold some downward pressure while you secure the plate in that position with the plate holders. Double check to be sure it didn't move. Remove the center locator, and put in the proper reamer for the bushing size you've selected. Using LITTLE downward pressure, turn the crank and let the reamer chip away at the non-worn side of the bushing. Don't put too much pressure downward until the reamer is hitting all sides of the hole equally (it's round). Now you can bear down a bit and cut through the plate. Remove the reamer, and insert a camfering tool. Smooth each side of the hole. Remove the tool and replace it with an anvil tool. Place the bushing on the hole (oil sink down - to the front of the plate) and push it home, flat to the back side of the plate. That's all there is to it.

Default Re: Bushings, Broaches, Cutters, and Reamers (RE: shutterbug)

Bergeon sizes in MM's. Reamers are for accurately sizing a hole. It is not tapered and is a precision tool. A broach cuts a tapered hole albeit ever so slightly....and a cutter cuts..

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Bushings, Broaches, Cutters, and Reamers (RE: moe1942)

Also make sure you are reaming from the inside of the clock plate, and pressing the bushing in from the inside.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"