Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 505 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default pinwheel regulator

Hello,

Have a new clock from the Pasadena regional and I've got some questions about possible case ornaments.

While browsing, I came across a French (or maybe Swiss) pinwheel regulator. The seller only had the movement, the bezel, the dial (two chips in the enamel) and the large pendulum bob. The movement, while dirty, looked complete and in working order. I asked if they had the gridiron part of the pendulum and the weight - but no, they did not. They also indicated that they had the case, but that it was in horrible shape - "just firewood" and had left it in their van - wasn't worth bringing it in --- but if I wanted it, I could have it or not, my choice. So, out to the van we went and there was a 56 inch figure eight case veneered in crotch mahogany ---- and the unbroken glass for the door. Did I want it? YES!!!! Well, to make a long story short, I couldn't get the case out fast enough!
    The "chips" to the enamel face turned out to be just hardened patches of dirt that came off easily with a razor blade. The dial is mint as is the heavy cast brass bezel. The hands needed only cleaning, buffing and bluing. Timesavers supplied an appropriate center second hand. Luckily I had a gridiron part for the 12 inche diameter, 10 lb. bob and Ebay supplied an appropriate 5 1/2 lb weight.

The body of the case needed work (there wasn't a speck of finish on the case or the door) - I was able to save and ressurect all the veneer on the case but had to redo all the veneer on the door. The final job looks great - it's impressive.

Here's my question - at the center of the waist of the case on each side, approximately 3/4 inch in the from the front edge of the case is a hole drilled on each side. There are four identical holes drilled around the arch of the top and the bottom on the case. They look original to the case - but what were they for?? All I can imagine is that they would hold some sort of brass trim that ran around the edge of the case at the top and bottom and maybe a finial (?) in the middle on each side.

Any thoughts??

Default Re: pinwheel regulator (RE: tickntock1)

It would be nice to see some photos.
    Best,
    Richard T.

Default Re: pinwheel regulator (RE: Richard T.)

Hello Richard,
    I've been trying to post several pictures nfrom my Mac - every time I try to do so, I'm told that the file is too large. Have tried to follow Bangsters instructions re posting pics, but no luck. Any help for someone with a Mac?
    Thanks, Jim

Jim, you will have to copy your pics to your harddrive and crop down the size using a picture editor.
    Pics that come directly from a camera are much too large for posting; about 200 - 300 KB really is
    enough for the message board.
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: pinwheel regulator (RE: soaringjoy)

Quote Originally Posted by soaringjoy View Post
    Jim, you will have to copy your pics to your harddrive and crop down the size using a picture editor.
    Pics that come directly from a camera are much too large for posting; about 200 - 300 KB really is
    enough for the message board.
    Yes, and when taking pictures stand far enough back that 2 or 3 crops will display the picture well.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: pinwheel regulator (RE: harold bain)

Hello,
    Is there anyone out there who could do me a favor and post the pics - I've been trying to do it, but nothing seems to work - I could send them to you by email - that seems to work just fine.
    Thanks, Jim

Jim - I have a Mac and would be willing to post. Send to my personal email: jwd4cdl@gmail.com

Jim D.

Blog Entries

Default Re: pinwheel regulator (RE: Jim Duncan)

Hi Tickntock, Transfer is so easy, right you have your pictures on I Photo, highlight one, then go up to file ,select export, you will get a little drop down box, on that box you can select large, medium and small, make sure you select medium on both selection lines, then click that box, you will then get another small drop down box which will show the J peg photo number and you can select where you want to post it. then click that box and your done takes seconds honestly, Write the J peg number/s, down on a piece of paper, as you are transfering them, i find that helps ,as you can then select the order you want to post them as you are working away, When you select manage photos on the forum, click add file, select your J peg number then click on that box, your j peg will appear on the forum drop down, then click upload, and the photo will appear at the bottom, when you have finished doing all the photos click done. hope this helps , contact me if you have problems , i will get you doing it second nature.
    There is always tomorrow but i would like my clock fixed today

Default Re: pinwheel regulator (RE: binman)

Here are cropped and downsized photos forwarded to me by tickntock1. Sorry but this is the full set sent. I'd much like to see the works, too. Nice looking clock with considerable work behind it.

Jim D.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whole clock on wall 90.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	168313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock on wall #2  91.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	331.4 KB 
ID:	168314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case bot veneer 13.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	168315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case head & bezel stripped 10.jpg 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	168316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case head stripped 11.jpg 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	168317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case RH si stripped 12.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	168318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case stripped on table 09.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	425.0 KB 
ID:	168319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendulum bob 07.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	168320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whole case stripping 14.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	168321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dial cls 08.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	168322

Firewood Huh! what a maroon. Super nice job, well done saving another soul from the depths. I agree really work have liked to have seen the works. Joe.