Month's Goal: $300, Received: $100.00 - (33%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1159 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bigelow Kennard & Co

A few years back I remember a topic regarding this company..If anyone is compiling the data I have serial # 276594, looks like an 8 or 10 size swiss Vacheron movement in an 18k case marked Bigelow Kennard & Co,Boston on the rear cover with Serial # 78331 and a presentation date of April 25th, 1896 and initials ATP on the rear dust cover.. White dial marked Bigelow Kennard & co..The watch case was mounted into a leather travel case which appears original to the watch..
    Ray

Default Bigelow Kennard & Co (RE: R.Hallenbeck)

A few years back I remember a topic regarding this company..If anyone is compiling the data I have serial # 276594, looks like an 8 or 10 size swiss Vacheron movement in an 18k case marked Bigelow Kennard & Co,Boston on the rear cover with Serial # 78331 and a presentation date of April 25th, 1896 and initials ATP on the rear dust cover.. White dial marked Bigelow Kennard & co..The watch case was mounted into a leather travel case which appears original to the watch..
    Ray

Ray - thank you for the information. My principal focus has been on the movements made by Waltham for Bigelow, Kennard & Co., but in the course of collecting data I found that they bought a lot of high-grade movements from V&C also. These are gorgeous watches and I am keeping track of these numbers, also, just because you never know where research will take you. The case serial numbers are also useful, as many of the BK&Co. marked cases appear to have their own serial number sequence.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Thanks Jerry, It really is a nicely made watch. Do you have any information when Bigelow Kennard & Co was in business?
    Thanks again,
    Ray

The Bigelow family has had a long association with watches and the jewelry trade in the Boston area. Three Bigelow brothers, John, Alanson and Abraham, started the family business (Bigelow Brothers Co.) in 1830s Boston. The Kennard name was added to the company around 1845 and it was then known as Bigelow Brothers and Kennard. In 1863 the name was changed to Bigelow, Kennard & Co. and the firm survived until around 1972.

A cousin of the jewelry family, Edward Alden Bigelow, was treasurer for the E. Howard Clock Co. around 1900 and was also associated with the E.Howard Watch Co. that split off from the clock company at that time.

Jerry,
    Great information, thank you.. Seems the company had a rich history in Boston.

Default Re: Bigelow Kennard & Co (RE: Jerry Treiman)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Treiman View Post
    The Bigelow family has had a long association with watches and the jewelry trade in the Boston area. Three Bigelow brothers, John, Alanson and Abraham, started the family business (Bigelow Brothers Co.) in 1830s Boston. The Kennard name was added to the company around 1845 and it was then known as Bigelow Brothers and Kennard. In 1863 the name was changed to Bigelow, Kennard & Co. and the firm survived until around 1972.

A cousin of the jewelry family, Edward Alden Bigelow, was treasurer for the E. Howard Clock Co. around 1900 and was also associated with the E.Howard Watch Co. that split off from the clock company at that time.
    Talk about a pheonix rising................... I just bought a 12 size in a B&B case, private label Waltham with serial number 13044100 that is signed in the movment with Bigelow, Kennard and signed on the dial with Bigelow, Kennard & Co.......

The gentleman who sold it to me swears that because of the unique click and different regulator (from that found on a Waltham Royal) this movement went from Waltham to Keystone-Howard to Bigelow, Kennard & Co.

I did a look-up of the serial number in the Waltham Database and it states that the movement is a 17 jewel Royal. I don't currently have permission to post the seller's photographs, so it will be a couple of days before I can post some of my own photographs. If it was sold to Keystone-Howard first, wouldn't it have a Keystone-Howard serial number on it?

Larry, it took me all day to find this thread!!! But I thought you might still be interested. You can look at item #180667239041 at a popular online auction to see what I'm talking about. The pictures are not high resolution so they don't magnify very well.

The image below is public domain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PhoenixRising_01.jpg  

Registered user.

Default Re: Bigelow Kennard & Co (RE: Michael R. Dutton)

Michael, that's my brother Jerry who has been researching, among many things, Waltham Howards and Bigelow, Kennard & Co. He often doesn't get on the board until later, that is, if he doesn't have other obligations. I'll be talking with him a little later, and will tell him about your post. He will probably have something to say about your watch. I think that the gentleman who sold you the watch shouldn't swear so much!

Larry

Default Re: Bigelow Kennard & Co (RE: Larry Treiman)

Hi Michael - The seller was confused. This watch has nothing to do with Howard, neither the original E.Howard nor Keystone-Howard. Nevertheless, it is an example of a very interesting Waltham private-label movement. Thanks for sharing the information on it.

Here is a Bigelow, Kennard & Co. watch that I have been wearing for the past couple of weeks. It has a 12-size 23-jewel Riverside Maximus grade movement and was probably made around 1907. The patent for the click was owned by Bigelow, Kennard & Co.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15110001f.jpg   15110001m.jpg  

Question Re: Bigelow Kennard & Co (RE: Jerry Treiman)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Treiman View Post
    Hi Michael - The seller was confused. This watch has nothing to do with Howard, neither the original E.Howard nor Keystone-Howard. Nevertheless, it is an example of a very interesting Waltham private-label movement. Thanks for sharing the information on it.
    Jerry, first off, sorry for my confusion between yourself and your brother. When I receive the watch would you like me to post some photographs? I'd be happy to do so.

I kinda think the seller gave some thought to his research, but probably not enough. Because of the click and the whip regulator - he also pointed out the orientation of the screws - he really thought the watch had passed through Howard before going to Bigelow, Kennard & Co. Look at Cooksey's Complete Price Guide to Watches, pages 265 and 266. He really thought he had a three star watch.

Side note: We used to have a Kennard's Department Store in Wilmington, DE, on Market Street (Wilmington's main street). My great Aunt worked there in the ladies hat department for many years in the 1940s and 1950s. Would that be the same Kennard as the Boston store? Or would it just be coincidence?

Attached are pictures of a watch I used to own - a rare 21 jewel Model 1896-OF (aka "Series XII") Howard split plate, S# 700,899, which according to the factory records, was made for the aforementioned E. A. Bigelow. The large gold cap jewel setting on the pallet bridge and the gold inlayed engraving (which doesn't show up that well in the picture) are prominent, distinguishing features of 21 jewel Howard split plate movements. A close friend owns this watch nowadays.

P.S. - This is my first post since my quadruple bypass surgery back on April 25.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 700,899 dial.jpg   700,899 21J sp XII movt reduced.jpg  
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC

Thumbs up Re: Bigelow Kennard & Co (RE: Clint Geller)

Welcome back!

Nice watch!
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Bigelow Kennard & Co (RE: Kent)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Welcome back!

Nice watch!

Ditto, for sure!!

Default Re: Bigelow Kennard & Co (RE: Michael R. Dutton)

Thank you, gentlemen. It's good to be back.
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC