Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Re: Quartz - Quality Levels (By: Scottie-TX)

In the late seventies my parents gave us a Seth Thomas reproduction schoolhouse clock with a striking quartz movement. Last fall it stopped working and I replaced it with a bim bam mechanical strike movement, which was the only one I could find. It has been keeping perfect time for 4 months now, and the sound of the chime rods is quite nice.

Since then I have become a fan of American time and strike clocks and have been doing basic disassembly, cleaning and repair work. Im about to do my first bushing job, and have been bitten hard by the mechanical clock bug. But I still value the quartz clock and enjoy the sight and sound of it every day.

Id also like to say that one of the most important inroads to the world of clocks that Ive found is this site and forum. The tone is refreshing and knowledge amazing.

Thanks to all,
    Jay

Registered user.

Default Re: Quartz - Quality Levels (By: Jay C.)

as far as time only quartz movements, the ones made today don't really equal the ones made years ago, I have a kitchen clock with a Junghans W756 that I installed around 1980, it still runs well, today's movements come in cheap and very cheap, much simplified in construction compared to the early movements.

the Takane movements seem to be pretty reliable, one was 11 years old when I had to swap it out, and only because the customer used a cheap battery that leaked.

other movements just either die, or the oil gets gummy and they seize up, I did try some very cheap chinese made movements last year that cost lest than $2 each including postage, out of ten movements 8 worked, construction wise they looked much like other movements but a bit rougher, about the only real difference was the power consumption was near double, where a AA battery might run most movements for 2years+ or so these would be less then 18months.

it is not really worth worrying about the quality of the movements, if it's reliable and works, fine, if it dies, chuck it and fit a new movement.

Registered user.

Default Re: Quartz - Quality Levels (By: Ontime)

No problem with quartz here. If you want to know what the time is, look at a quartz clock or an atomic clock. Used mechanical clocks are difficult to find at the price level that I am willing to pay at flea markets and resale stores and if a young person wants to get into clock collecting, quartz may be almost all that there is now. Takane is good as was said and beyond that I like German movements such as Kienzle, Hechinger, Haller, and Junghans. The Germans can be relied on to be acceptably accurate. The Chinese quartz movements can be counted on to be good to within about a second per day but the luck of the draw might find one that is as good as a German.

Regarding longevity, I have a nice oak Daniel Dakota wall clock with a Chinese quartz movement that would stop running after a few hours more or less. The movement could be opened for inspection w/o destroying the case and cover and so I did that. The step motor end shaft stubs in the case and cover were clearly worn and there was plastic debris from the wear. The plastic debris was cleared away and the step motor bearings were lubed with silicone oil. The clock has run without stopping for at least three weeks now. I have not encountered a German, a Japanese or another Chinese quartz movement that needed such work. All of my quartz mechanical clocks (I count at least 40) with the exception of two or three, are from flea markets and resale stores. Used quartz movements for me have been found totally failed (only one or two) or else they ran with no attention required other than a few needing cleaning of the battery contacts due to leaking, dead batteries left in the clock. I don't know how old my quartz clocks are but there is certainly a variety of ages.

It seems that a better known brand such as Elgin or Howard Miller will have a decently accurate quartz mechanical movement, even if it has a Chinese movement. A Japanese movement excepting at least Seiko will be of a quality between a German and a Chinese movement in my view.

Default Re: Quartz - Quality Levels (By: Cheezhead)

Thanks to all for the input. Maybe we'll sometime soon we'll see a movement promoted as ''high quality''....I think many folks would prefer to have a quartz movement last and not change it out every 5-10 years. It just seems that a movement which costs less then $3. is just below what many nice clocks deserve !

A further question - some of these movements are a continuous sweep type, while others tic each second which can be heard....do wholesalers make the distinction about this difference. I just noticed this with the six or so I've installed in cases.....some tic seconds, others are the sweep type.

A real survivor in the World of quartz is a circa early 1970s desk clock I found at a flea market - nice steel front with beveled glass & modernist style walnut case, dial is marked 'Boston' ? Has a pretty good sized quartz movement made in Japan, takes a C cell battery. It's been running for about four years without a battery change. It looses about 5-6 min. a month, but can't bring myself to update this relic of a quartz.

Registered user.

Default Re: Quartz - Quality Levels (By: Ontime)

Most of these older clocks have trim capacitors.
    Find someone with a calibrated frequency counter and it
    can be adjusted to be right on.
    Tinker Dwight

Registered user.

Default Re: Quartz - Quality Levels (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    Most of these older clocks have trim capacitors.Tinker Dwight
    Mr. Dwight: I can't agree that the older clocks that I see have trim capacitors. I would like it if they did and have a total of one quartz mechanical clock with a trim cap plus about 39 that do not. I have been regularly haunting the local resale stores and we have a good number of them here in SE WI, for the last two years. I purposely look for a trim cap on the back of all of the quartz mechanical clocks including those that appear to be complete rubbish that should be tossed into the bin. I simply don't find any with the trim cap.

If very early quartz movements more frequently were equipped with a trim cap to adjust timing accuracy, then those are now gone and that says something negative about the lifespan of quartz mechanical movements.

Registered user.

Default Re: Quartz - Quality Levels (By: Cheezhead)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezhead View Post
    If very early quartz movements more frequently were equipped with a trim cap to adjust timing accuracy, then those are now gone and that says something negative about the lifespan of quartz mechanical movements.
    the Junghans W756 in my kitchen clock has a trimmer, it also is a megaquartz with a 4.194304MHz crystal instead of the usual 32KHz.

trimmers do have problems, they don't like moisture, humidity affects them causing the rate to drift, they can be damaged if someone is a bit heavy handed with a screwdriver, and the main reason is cost, a few cents saved in eliminating the trimmer out of a million movement makes the bean counters happy.

Default Re: Quartz - Quality Levels (By: dAz57)

I received a Junghans Radio controlled clock as a retirement present in 1992, It has worked flawlessly since then. It was expensive in the day, but you can but them, called "atomic clocks" nowadays for about $20. I , personally, love mechanical movements and chimes and gongs. Klockit has made in USA quartz movements that seem to last a reasonable amount of time.Bob.

Default Quartz pendulum movements (By: Ontime)

I have a customer that wants to replace a movement with a quartz movement. I have some new old stock (approximately 4 to 5 years old) that I was going to use. These are pendulum quartz movements. The time works fine but the pendulums are not swinging. Do these lose magnetism over time? Is there any way to repair?

Registered user.

Default Re: Quartz pendulum movements (By: Gordon J)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
    I have a customer that wants to replace a movement with a quartz movement. I have some new old stock (approximately 4 to 5 years old) that I was going to use. These are pendulum quartz movements. The time works fine but the pendulums are not swinging. Do these lose magnetism over time? Is there any way to repair?
    No, the magnets are not the problem unless they've come loose
    and fallen out.
    These usually use really fine wire for the coils. Sometimes the
    solder flux used is not cleaned off and too active, causing
    corrosion of the wires.
    It seems that many are using water soluble fluxes for environmental
    reasons. If not completely removed, these can cause problems.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Quartz pendulum movements (By: Tinker Dwight)

Thank you for that information! I will check that. Gordon

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Make sure your batteries are fresh (should measure about 1.58 to 1.60 volts) and installed right way. The shelf life for these movements should be much longer than 5 years with proper storage.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Quartz pendulum movements (By: harold bain)

Thank you Harold - I will make sure to check that. Gordon

Are you testing them on a stand? In the case? It is critical that the pendulum hangs properly and neither drags on the movement or hangs too far outward of the coil.

Registered user.

Default source for different Quartz clocks (By: Ontime)

I found from another group an interesting source for quartz
    movements.
    The place is a hole saler but if you need a special movement, they
    may have it.
    The even have radio controled movements with dials and
    I saw round movements as well.

www.eckind.com

Tinker Dwight