Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Default Re: Post your quartz clock matters here (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    Just epoxy the hair spring back on.
    Tinker Dwight
    Hmmm! Good idea. What have we got to lose?

Registered user.

Default Re: Nine Year Quartz Clock Battery?

This is a preliminary update to my post #53 speculating that a lithium AA cell might power my small German travel alarm clock for 9 years. The lithium battery, installed on Feb 20, 2012, at 5 years on February 20, 2017 was still powering the clock as of today, February 27, 2017. I did not check the initial voltage of the battery but I recently checked two new Ultimate AA lithium batteries to get an average voltage of 1.833 volts dc open circuit. The 5 year old battery in the clock presently measures 1.758 vdc oc.

According to a graph on Energizer's web site, http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf , a new Ultimate Lithium cell has an open circuit voltage of 1.8 vdc that immediately drops to about 1.72 vdc with an applied 1 ma. load. The graph shows a lithium battery depleted down to 1.4 volts as having a sharp voltage dropoff after that. It seems fair to believe that the clock will run for a while after 1.4 volts because the clock will still run at 1.35 vdc as determined with a nearly depleted alkaline cell.

The meter that I used was a Velleman DMM that some time ago I was able to compare to a Beckman DMM that had been calibration checked against a standard traceable to NIST. Using the two volt dc scale the 20 dollar Velleman meter showed good accuracy as it measured only 0.4% higher voltage than the Beckman. It is possible, of course, that the Beckman meter was not perfectly accurate as is so with any meter. This is the best that I can do regarding voltage accuracy without spending some money to have my Velleman DVM850BL checked at a scientific instrument calibration facility.

Conclusion: At 1.758 vdc oc, the Ultimate Lithium AA battery voltage is still very near the voltage when new so it appears possible as of now that the battery will continue to run the clock to 9 years. Time will tell, so to speak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kienzle2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	357.3 KB 
ID:	334595  
    Last edited by Cheezhead; 02-27-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Registered user.

Default Re: Nine Year Quartz Clock Battery? (By: Cheezhead)

I would say it should continue to run for several more years.
    Thanks for the update.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Nine Year Quartz Clock Battery? (By: Cheezhead)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezhead View Post
    [IMG]http://mb.nawcc.org

According to a graph on Energizer's web site, http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf , a new Ultimate Lithium cell has an open circuit voltage of 1.8 vdc that immediately drops to about 1.72 vdc with an applied 1 ma. load. The graph shows a lithium battery depleted down to 1.4 volts as having a sharp voltage dropoff after that. It seems fair to believe that the clock will run for a while after 1.4 volts because the clock will still run at 1.35 vdc as determined with a nearly depleted alkaline cell.

The meter that I used was a Velleman DMM that some time ago I was able to compare to a Beckman DMM that had been calibration checked against a standard traceable to NIST. Using the two volt dc scale the 20 dollar Velleman meter showed good accuracy as it measured only 0.4% higher voltage than the Beckman. It is possible, of course, that the Beckman meter was not perfectly accurate as is so with any meter. This is the best that I can do regarding voltage accuracy without spending some money to have my Velleman DVM850BL checked at a scientific instrument calibration facility.

Conclusion: At 1.758 vdc oc, the Ultimate Lithium AA battery voltage is still very near the voltage when new so it appears possible as of now that the battery will continue to run the clock to 9 years. Time will tell, so to speak.
    From page 3 of the energizer Document A good battery has an OCV of >1.74v. A dead battery is <1.70v. At 1.758V you definitely have some life left in the battery.

That 1mA discharge graph (Fig. 14) has a sharp voltage drop to 1.6v at about 60% depleted (2000 hours). You could put a 1mA load on the battery and let the voltage stabilize. If the voltage is above 1.6V you'll know that you've not yet reached the 60% discharged point.

You already have 5 years from the battery. If it's not yet down to 60% discharge, you'll have a lot of life left! Assuming that you just reached 60%, it'll still take about 3 more years to drain it.

I'll be waiting patiently for your report on when the battery finally dies

The Energizer lithium has about 3Ah capacity with a low drain load. Alkaline varies from about 2-3Ah. Not a huge difference in capacity. I'd expect that the extra battery life will come mostly from the lower self discharge rate and lower internal resistance of the lithium.

One thing that's on my to-do list is to measure the power use of a quartz clock. I now have the instruments needed to do this. This would allow me to estimate the battery life. I'll know how much power the clock uses. With the self discharge rate and capacity of the battery I should be able to get a reasonable estimate.

Default Re: Nine Year Quartz Clock Battery? (By: lmester)

I found these two non-functional quartz anniversary clocks in a thrift shop a week or so back. I now have both in working condition.

The Schatz square head, That was very easy to get running again after cleaning the badly corroded battery compartment:

The B 8825 Bulova "Festivity", which came with all the parts, but the suspension spring had either broken off of the top hanger, or had slipped out of it.
    I was able to remove the hanger pin, but still could not get the two tiny brass squares apart. Instead, I opted to try a top hanger from a kit that I purchased from Timesavers a couple of years ago when I was tinkering with German 400 day clocks.
    After a couple of length adjustments on the suspension spring I was able to get it functioning correctly:

The Hermle movement is basically like this one that was posted in a Westclox by Cheezhead in post #18 of this thread, except the fork is brass instead of clear plastic.

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bulova B  8825.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	338445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bulova:Hermle movement.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	512.9 KB 
ID:	338446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schatz Square anny clock.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	329.5 KB 
ID:	338449