Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 580 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chateau pocket watch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watch5.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	165736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watch6.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	165737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watch4.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	165734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watch3.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	165735 I got a pocket watch that belonged to my great grandfather it is a Chateau and on the face its Roman numerals it is 17 Jewels also says shockproof and numbered 13 to 24 and still works never been fixed never broken and the turn dial is at the 3 that is all I know from what I see but he is passed on and I would like to know more about it if anyone can help would be appreciated the design on it is beautiful not sure if its brass or gold I might sound stupid but how can I tell please any info is greatly appreciated thank you
    Last edited by Itsjustme68; 02-15-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: adding pictures

Default Re: Chateau pocket watch (RE: Itsjustme68)

No one can tell you what you have without showing it to us. Use the photo posting option in the edit toolbar and post photos of the dial, inside case markings, and movement, and we may be able to help. If it has a shockproof mechanism, it's probably from the 1930s at the earliest.

Default Re: Chateau pocket watch (RE: Squite)

Sorry I'm trying to figure out how to open it I'm so new to this sorry but I can get the pics of the outside and face for now ty

They won't help much, photos of the mechanism inside will be what will provide the most information, but try to take a photo of the edge of the case, too, and maybe we'll be able to tell you how to open it. If there are no visible hinges, it either screws off or pops off.
    Last edited by Squite; 02-15-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Blog Entries

the fact that is says shockproof, indicates that it is not a real "antique", likely made after 1950.

i did add a couple pics still trying to figure out how to open my great grandfather showed me but that was over 25 years ago

Default Re: Chateau pocket watch (RE: richiec)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watch6.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	165738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watch5.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	165739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watch3.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	165740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watch2.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	165741 i do know it was bought before my dad was born and he was born in 1946
    Last edited by Itsjustme68; 02-15-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added pics

I can add that according to Mikrolisk, the Chateau name was a trade name registered by at least a few different companies, most likely as a brand for the selling of imports. Some of these are listed as clock branding, not watches, and they range in dates from 1928-1951, though some do not have dates listed at all.

Also, regarding the case, sometimes a thin screwdriver or pocket knife blade can carefully be slid in that seam to open the back. There is likely another cover behind that one, so you may need to do this twice.

so sort of how the front open you think the back opens sort of like that?? ill try if i get it open ill post pics ten maybe you might be able to help me a bit more tank you very much

Sure. I can honestly say by looking at the dial and such that it looks to be a reproduction to me, maybe from the late 1950s or even the 1960s. Without a doubt no earlier than the 40s.
    Last edited by Squite; 02-15-2013 at 08:37 PM.

there is a hinge for front to open but i dont see anything for the back i dont want to scratch it up but very curious now

If there's no hinge for the back I would guess it probably just pops off (rather than screw off), and if that's the case, it's likely from a period later than you think.

i have a close up picture of him when he just got it not sure if he got it new or given to him used and it was shortly before my dad was born at my grandparents wedding so i dont know its only what i see i could be wrong maybe ill take it somewhere and they can show me how it opens like i said it was many years ago he opened it and hsowed me the inside of the watch were from a small town in newbrunswick canada and he was a bigshot inthe town at that time....im just very curious like to know the background of the making so i know what i have to pass down to my daughter
    Last edited by Itsjustme68; 02-15-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: added a sentance

It's a nice story to go with a cherished family keepsake. That's the best kind!

i havent tried to screw it off maybe best i take it somewhere ty very much for your time though like i said i just want to know what i have so when my daughter is older i can give her the background of it it still works and everything...