Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 534 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Colonial Manufacturing Clock: Zeeland Michigan, Serial Number 12952

Good Morning,

I'm looking for information on a new clock we purchased in Nashville, Tennessee. The clock is a tall case style in mahogany. The serial number is 12952 (on the back of the clock works). There is no number on the back of the clock and all that is left of the paper label is a few shards of paper that show a logo and a date of April 4th as the "start date." Still keeps perfect time!

Would appreciate any information anyone would have about the date of this clock.

Best-

PICTURES:
    http://greenriveracademy.com/wp-cont...3/01/photo.jpg
    http://greenriveracademy.com/wp-cont...01/photo-3.jpg
    http://greenriveracademy.com/wp-cont...01/photo-2.jpg
    http://greenriveracademy.com/wp-cont...01/photo-1.jpg

Default Re: Colonial Manufacturing Clock: Zeeland Michigan, Serial Number 12952 (RE: bailey1769)

Most Colonial tall case clocks I've seen from the 1950-70s have a four digit model number, such as 1649. I do know that if it's mahogany, it's Honduras mahogany, which Colonial always pointed out in their advertising in this era - being the finest in the World. I think these Colonials had very nicely made cases. The label on your clock has a 1950s look to it, but this is a guess. It's a nice looking clock. Others will have a catalog and be able to pinpoint it's model number and more precise year.

Registered user.

Default Re: Colonial Manufacturing Clock: Zeeland Michigan, Serial Number 12952 (RE: bailey1769)

Are you sure there is not a number stamped on the back or
    inside the cabinet?
    A picture or two of the movement might help some on
    a range of dates.
    My first guess is that it is post WWII but it could be middle
    30's.
    The newer ones had a lable stuck onto the face door.
    The serial number on the movement has little meaning other
    than to the manufacture of that movement.
    Also, try to post the pictures to the MB rather than pointers.
    They'd need to be reduced in size some before posting them.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Colonial Manufacturing Clock: Zeeland Michigan, Serial Number 12952 (RE: Tinker Dwight)

Hello Bailey,

I have done a lot of research on Colonial Manufacturing Company.

Colonial generally stamped the clock model number of the outside back of the case just below when the movement would hang. Floor clocks have 4 digit numbers. I have Colonial catalogs and price sheets from various time periods and could help identify it.

Colonial case styles evolved and changed over the years. However late 1930's up to about 1960 they made fewer changes, during 1960's company began changing styles to keep up with the competition and rapidly growing market for the clocks.

Andy Dervan

Default Re: Colonial Manufacturing Clock: Zeeland Michigan, Serial Number 12952 (RE: Andy Dervan)

Welcome to the message board, bailey.

It might be better, if you would upload your pictures directly to the MB.
    We've got lots of archives space and, frankly, pictures on provider sites
    do have a tendancy to get "lost" after a while, leaving dead links behind.
    This tells you how it's done:
    http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?8...r-PC-or-Laptop
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: Colonial Manufacturing Clock: Zeeland Michigan, Serial Number 12952 (RE: Andy Dervan)

Andy, Do you have any details on Colonial model 26 pillar & scroll with a Boston State House tablet.....such as years produced original price, any other history ?

The back of my case is marked 26 and 457. I assume 457 is a production serial number.

Drew

Default Re: Colonial Manufacturing Clock: Zeeland Michigan, Serial Number 12952 (RE: Ontime)

Hello Drew,

The only Colonial catalog I have with a Pillar & Scroll is 1972 and it is listed as model 126.

Andy

Hi Bailey,

Yours looks to be an early model Colonial. Models in the low 1200's are very similar, so I suspect your clock is of similar vintage. These images are from Colonial's 1914-1915 catalog.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colonial 1205.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	163924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colonial 1204.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	163923
    Note too, the logo on the inspection card matches the logo on Colonial's clock catalog pictures of that that time.

Name:	Colonial inspection card.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	163925

I hope this helps!

Terry C.

Default Re: Colonial Manufacturing Clock: Zeeland Michigan, Model 26 (RE: bailey1769)

Hello Ontime,

Model 26 appears in colonial's 1956 catalog.

Name:	Colonial model 26.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	163927

The number 457 is likely the cutting order number for that run of model 26 clocks.

Terry C.

Default Re: Colonial Manufacturing Clock: Zeeland Michigan, Model 26 (RE: Terry C.)

Thanks Terry....a little earlier then I thought. Mine does indeed have a gorgeous flame mahogany case as promoted in the catalog. I'm becoming more and more of a Colonial fan, their cases are so nicely made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry C. View Post
    Hello Ontime,

Model 26 appears in colonial's 1956 catalog.

Name:	Colonial model 26.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	163927

The number 457 is likely the cutting order number for that run of model 26 clocks.

Terry C.