Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4256 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default What is a Silk thread Escapement?

I saw this in a descriptsion. Does this have anything to do with a pendulem application? Obviously I am not very clock literate. Thanks for any info.

I saw this in a descriptsion. Does this have anything to do with a pendulem application? Obviously I am not very clock literate. Thanks for any info.

Hello Frank,
    The silk string in clock movements does not have much to do with the escapement. In all movements, it is necessary for the pendulum to have some sort of "hinge" assembly to be able to swing. In most movements, this is done with a very thin strip of metal, usually spring steel. In some European, primarily French clocks this hinging action is accomplished with a silk string. In order to regulate most of these clocks, the string is shortened or lengthened by being wound around an arbor at the top of the movement. Accurate adjustment is not always possible and is a delicate operation. The technology when these clocks were built was not what we have today and it is pure luck (and patience) if a clock with a string suspension keeps accurate time. Probably good enough to get you on time for church, not much more. I think that today, owning one of these clocks could be compared to having a 1957 Dodge. I guess that is why not many shuttle launches are timed with silk string suspension clocks.
    I have a customer with one of these clocks and he continually violates the operation of the clock. I see the clock about every other month. It is not here now, but it is due. If it were here, I would send you a picture of the suspension system.
    Regards,
    Dick Feldman
    Berthoud, Colorado

[This message was edited by Dick Feldman on January 23, 2003 at 14:08.]

I think I'm getting there. I have to photograph this clock's movement and have you more knowledgable people look at it. The clock I'm asking about appears to be French. I put up a photo of it last week. It has a string attached to the top in line with what I think would be a pedulem. I appreciate your assistance. Thank you.