Month's Goal: $300, Received: $35.00 - (12%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 577 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default what to glue spelter with?

found this nice clock on the Bremen antic fare this afternoon.Signed as if it was a sports trophy back in 1912. A medium quality Junghans 30hour balance wheel mvmt.dial is nice,bevelled crystal in front.As You can see the case has a serious crack on its lower right edge,a little piece is broken of-thank god I have it! What is the proposal of the experts of how to deal with that? Allthough it looks like bronze it is indeed spelter with a nice artificial patina.TIA
    Burkhard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Antikmarkt Bremen 023.JPG   Antikmarkt Bremen 020.JPG   Antikmarkt Bremen 022.JPG   Antikmarkt Bremen 021.JPG  
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: what to glue spelter with? (RE: Burkhard Rasch)

Burkhard, I would use a two part epoxy. JB Weld works well if you have it in Germany.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Normally you solder spelter items that are broken but for a number of reasons the process can be quite difficult. One reason is that you don't know the composition of the spelter - it can be anything - one reason is that because you don't know the composition you don't know which solder to use and a third reason is that the melting point of the spelter often lies very close to that of the solder.

Add to that the difficulty in matching the patination and you are in a situation where you need to experiment - a slow and costly process.

You can glue a damaged spelter item using superglue, a suitable resin in case you need to build strength or 'liquid metal'. In those cases you can't patinate the visible resin surface chemically afterwards (like you would with a metal surface) and need to paint it instead, building up the colour gradually with a thin matte lacquer. You can use some conservation wax on top.

Banned

Default Re: what to glue spelter with? (RE: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Burkhard, I would use a two part epoxy. JB Weld works well if you have it in Germany.
    This brings to mind an anecdote. About 25 years ago I was on a European vacation with my wife in Italy. As it happened, a lug on my 35mm SLR camera broke and I needed some epoxy to repair it. So I went to a local hardware store in Rome and tried to explain that I wanted epoxy glue, by using my broken Italian (Italiano, senza grammatico) and much sign language. After about five minutes of quizzical expressions, they understood what I needed. As it turned out, at the time it was simply called "adesivo rapido". The word "epoxy" apparently didn't exist in Italian then. I wonder if it does now?

Sometimes specific meanings can get lost in translation.

Registered User Douglas Ballard's Avatar

Default Re: what to glue spelter with? (RE: Thyme)

I have used JB Weld putty to repair spelter with good results.
    TEMPVS RERVM IMPERATOR

Registered user.

Default Re: what to glue spelter with? (RE: Douglas Ballard)

Hi
    The problem is if the crack isn't complete and only partial.
    It may require breaking it all the way off and then removing
    some of the material beneath the surfaces such that the surfaces
    can be flush again. Then fill the space where you removed material
    with the epoxy cement.
    This is similar to what is needed on wood where the fibers are shredded
    and you need to remove some to get it to fit back together.
    Some of the spelter will be stretch such that it doesn't fit smoothly
    at the surface.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: what to glue spelter with? (RE: Tinker Dwight)

Ok,got the case done.Learned btw that it is pewter,not spelter,not brittle as expected,but verry soft!Glued the pieces back and filed it back to shape,grinded with fine steel wool ,buffed and gave it back its nice dark grey,allmost black finish with a stuff called "metall staining".(the flash pics show the right color.The mvmts. is at my clocksmith.
    BTW does anyone know the translation of the inscription?I guess it has something to do with sports and the hungarian city of Pecs.Any info wellcome!
    Burkhard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zentra,Laco et al 026.JPG   Zentra,Laco et al 027.JPG   Zentra,Laco et al 030.JPG   Zentra,Laco et al 033.JPG  
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Registered User Douglas Ballard's Avatar

Very nice repair, worth the time I would say.
    TEMPVS RERVM IMPERATOR

Default Re: what to glue spelter with? (RE: Douglas Ballard)

Versenyek is Hungarian for 'competition', sometimes 'horse race'. In business language it means sales promotion or prize competition. This is obviously a prize from a sports competition in Pecs in 1912. Perhaps H.I. is a club or something. Perhaps the town has an English or German web site opening an avenue to research.