Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Ridgeway Grandfather Clock

I recently acquired a Ridgeway Grandfather clock and would like to know more about it. Model 145, dial R-4, Movement HG HB-MP, insure about this line...FIND:HVOA4, serial 3481. I am assuming that it is from 1981, but would like to know the model name. Also would like to know what the original pendulum looked like as it is missing. This clock has some moisture damage on the bottom but my hu sband does woodworking so we shall take it apart and install new side panels to the bottem, hopefully we can breath some new life into this diamond in the rough. I have added pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clock.jpg   clock1.jpg   clock2.jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: cpeacock1)

Welcome,

I have heard that the Ridgeway Clock Co. is now owned by the Howard Miller Clock Co. The most likely source for the information you seek would be the new owners.

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: doug sinclair)

Welcome to the message board.

I'll not try to give you any details on your clock, because I know about next to
    nothing about Ridgeways.
    However, there's a quite interesting discussion up right now on this thread, that may be
    of interest:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?9...an-Floor-Clock
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: soaringjoy)

I have a Ridgeway that was made in 1996 with the Keininger movement. The dark oak case is in immaculate condition and the movement was serviced professionally just before I purchased it in the fall (2012). I figure if the movement fails in the next 5 years (though I will continue to service it) I will simply replace it because the clock is a beauty to look at and is accurate to within 30 seconds a week.

"This is my clock. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My clock is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My clock, without me, is useless. Without my clock I am useless .........."

Ron

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: Rockin Ronnie)

cpea,

Spif has some Ridgeway books. He might have a picture.

It would likely have had a small lyre pendulum, but maybe a simple stick and bob pendulum. You can pick any pendulum you like. The length will be the tricky part, it has to match the movement.

Willie X

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: Willie X)

The movement may have a clue to the pendulum length. On the movement back usually there may be a number which refers jot the length in centimeters. Bob.

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: cpeacock1)

I have the same model clock. Dial-R4, Model 145, Movement-HG HB/MP, Finish-VOA4, Serial 52781. I've attached a picture of the pendulum. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	166331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	166332
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo1.jpg   photo.jpg  

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: Willie X)

Quote Originally Posted by cpeacock1 View Post
    I recently acquired a Ridgeway Grandfather clock and would like to know more about it. Model 145, dial R-4, Movement HG HB-MP, insure about this line...FIND:HVOA4, serial 3481. I am assuming that it is from 1981, but would like to know the model name. Also would like to know what the original pendulum looked like as it is missing. This clock has some moisture damage on the bottom but my hu sband does woodworking so we shall take it apart and install new side panels to the bottem, hopefully we can breath some new life into this diamond in the rough. I have added pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    cpea,
    Spif has some Ridgeway books. He might have a picture.
    It would likely have had a small lyre pendulum, but maybe a simple stick and bob pendulum. You can pick any pendulum you like. The length will be the tricky part, it has to match the movement.
    Willie X
    Hi, all.
    Sorry for joining in so late. Yes, I have a few Ridgeway catalogs & brochures, but unfortunately they are not all-inclusive. I have a ca. 1967 catalog-brochure, a ca. 1972 brochure, a 1977 catalog, and a 1997 catalog. I'm sorry to say Model 145 is not listed in any of them.

I have quite a large gap between 1977 and 1997. If your clock is indeed from around 1981, that would explain why I'm not finding it. I'm really hoping to run across some catalogs from the 1980s or even in between some of the other gaps, but for the time being my references are limited.

Sorry I wasn't of more help.
    Good luck,
    John
    John C.
    About 3/4 of my clock collection. Still photographing the last 1/4!

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: Spaceman Spiff)

The high bridge and the silence levers look like a Hermle....Look on the back of movement with a dental mirror. Looks like a 451-050 probably a 94 cm. It should be marked.

Registered user. JohnFromRoyalOak's Avatar

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: David B Pendley)

I'm a little confused. I have a Ridgeway model 145 and it doesn't look at all like your clock. I am having a hard time trying to find out more about my clock. What year, etc. This sticker is inside mine Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131026_171452-1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	198667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131030_153840-1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	198668

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: JohnFromRoyalOak)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFromRoyalOak View Post
    I'm a little confused. I have a Ridgeway model 145 and it doesn't look at all like your clock. I am having a hard time trying to find out more about my clock. What year, etc. This sticker is inside mine
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention, John. Interesting... Since we've seen the photo of the sticker in your clock clearly showing that it's model 145, I was now thinking that cpeacock1's clock must not really be a model 145. But then I saw one of the replies from someone else (jdlippert) who said they have the same model clock, model 145, and although their photos only show the lower part of their clock, I presume they're stating that their clock matches cpeacock1's. What a mystery!

I don't think I've ever encountered this before, where the same model number was used for two differently-styled clocks. I sure wish I could find some more Ridgeway catalogs!!

Perplexed,
    John
    John C.
    About 3/4 of my clock collection. Still photographing the last 1/4!

Registered user. JohnFromRoyalOak's Avatar

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: Spaceman Spiff)

Yes it IS a mystery....I've been going crazy trying to find anything I can about my clock on the internet. Tried all kinds of different avenues. Can not find one pic of my clock any where. I keep thinking to myself, am I the only one out there with this clock?? And now when I ran across this thread it just made things even more strange. Weird......