Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 412 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement.

Hi,
    Sorry, I was a bit busy for photos this weekend. I got a old cuckoo a few years back at a flea market for free, because the wet day had kind of ruined it. So, I use it for parts instead but recently I decided to overhaul it, which is all going fine. Some of the parts have been bent, and it is missing the chains. I was wondering if any of you had any plans or tips to re-assembleing a Regula E. Schmeckenbecker n°25 movement, made in Germany. The serial codes on the movement plates are: G.M. 1731483 and 1741584. Please let me know! Thanks!

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: Ticktocktime100)

Regula is a Burger trademark, your movement being made for Schmeckenbecher.

Off we go to Clock Repair...
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: Ticktocktime100)

I have a 1980's or 90's video showing step by step assembly for the three major cuckoo movement configurations. I refer to that whenever I decide to tear down a cuckoo. You can go to Youtube and search "assemble cuckoo movement" and find some video on what you need there. I never watched them so I can't guarantee their quality but there is a lot on Youtube that will help. Best of luck.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: Brian Smith)

Take lots of pictures while you work (before you take it apart) so you will have a clue where everything goes when you come to put it back together. Check for worn bushings that will need replacing while it's apart.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Take lots of pictures while you work (before you take it apart) so you will have a clue where everything goes when you come to put it back together. Check for worn bushings that will need replacing while it's apart.
    &
    Wise men speak when they've got something to say whereas fools speak just to say something.

http://rosewoodregulators.com/

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: Jay Fortner)

I always take a lot of photos, and make notes/diagrams, before I take apart any unusual movement that I am not familiar with. Especially on some of the more unusual 3-train chimers. Saves a lot of time, frustration, and sometimes moments sheer panic, later when it comes to reassembling and getting everything set just right. I learned that lesson the hard way.

If this is your first clock, your in for some excitement. Take pictures of everuthing and as you remove a part take a picture to return it to it's same place. To much fun.

H/C
    "There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." WWW.Heritage-Clocks.com

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: Heritage-Clocks)

Nah, just take 'er apart and figure out what goes where later. What? You don't like a challenge? I have a three plate monster I started on a couple of years ago that I wish I'd taken pictures of! Finally stuck it in my "projects for later" pile that never seems to get worked on.

Registered user.

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: shutterbug)

I always use baggies. At least one for each train so the wheels never get mixed.
    I also mark the bags ( Duh! ). Pictures are so easy today with whatever is handy,
    camera or cell phone.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: Tinker Dwight)

#### like this drives me crazy, the guy ask for help and all he get is take alot of pictures and hoe great you are wtf help him

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: d d)

Quote Originally Posted by d d View Post
    #### like this drives me crazy, the guy ask for help and all he get is take alot of pictures and hoe great you are wtf help him
    Wish it was that easy. If our poster doesn't show us what he has, and tell us where the problem is, it's extremely difficult to tell him what he's doing wrong. Schmeckenbecker had lots of different custom made Regula movements, each with it's own set of problems. Our response is only as good as the information a poster is willing to provide. Less information, less we can help. Or perhaps you would like to offer your assistance to him??
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: d d)

Quote Originally Posted by d d View Post

HUH He asked for tips on reassembling a cuckoo. See post #3, and the others. If he was closer I would offer to help him in person. Do you have some suggestions that aren't mentioned here?
    David S

Regula 25's are very easy movements, they only go together one way. You just need to know the basics ie., bushings, polishing etc...

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: David S)

d d - you'll get used to the chatting that accompanies requests. Often we tweak each others skills as we go. That way, everyone benefits and is able to learn as they try to help others. It's actually a positive for the board, not a negative

Default Re: Re-assembly of a West-German 50's Regula cuckoo clock movement. (RE: shutterbug)

Agreed SB. The other thing is that the Regula 25 plates are quite thin.. about 1 mm. My standard KWM bushings are 1.4 mm thick. I usually reduced them first by using a tooth pick to hold them and moving them back and forth on a 320 grit paper. Curious how others reduce them?
    David S